2000 Windstar; Chevron Supreme 5W-30; 4,361 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
After receiving this report, I remember noting that the coolant level has dropped in the recovery tank maybe a half-inch or so. The note is the reason I do UOAs every so often. The prior oils used are in the client box I inserted above. My wife loves the van so I plan to investigate the leak. The oil filter was a FL-400S (fall 2014) that I may try to open for inspection at some point.

Windstar-2015May24Edited_zpsamrclvat.jpg

Kevin

I knew of a family that blew a head gasket on their 95 3.8. Thought it might have been fixed by 2000.

Another vote for potential head gasket issues.

If you plan to keep the van, fix it sooner rather than later - much easier to do the head gaskets than pull the engine and rebuild the bottom end after a catastrophic failure.

My wife loves her '03 Windstar, so guess who got to rebuild a Ford 3.8 the year before last...

I had one of these dreaded 3.8's. I had similiar readings and did nothing. Six months later, the head gasket blew, coolant filled one of the cylinders and the engine hydolocked. My mistake. Get it checked right away.

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
[font:Arial]Got it thanks. I'd heard about the issue and fantasized that after 15 years and nearly 180,000 I got lucky.

15 years and 180k on a Windstar without blowing the motor or transaxle, I'd say you got very lucky!

My sister had an '01 Windstar that had a head gasket issue as well. We tried a stop leak in the reservoir and it worked for a while, then catastrophically let go, causing the rod to blow a hole into the side of the block. Amazingly, it still ran, though it sounded like a jackhammer. In short, make sure to stay on top of the leak in those 3.8s... her van had around 221k on it at the time, I believe. The gauges went haywire shortly beforehand, too.
smile.gif
This was while idling at a stop sign:
20140919_203457_zpsqijigi0k.jpg

The aftermath:
20141004_180634_zpstren4qm8.jpg

Yes I understand what head gasket issues can cause and appreciate the comment it could just "go" with no warning. Delamination of a lot of the paint, original unrebuilt trans which still works well, one door lock is sticking, one back window doesn't move --- all adding up to research and planning for alternative rides ... I just love dealing with the mess of buying and selling cars.
frown.gif

Kevin

Good idea on looking for a new ride..would not put that much work into a 15-year old van with that much mileage that has other issues.

You did good getting that much out of an engine known for issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back