06' Audi A4 11k miles, Castrol GC 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly highway miles. 5qts of makeup oil added over 11k miles (has burned a quart every 2k since motor was new).

Iron trending up. I had the HPFP lifter and exhaust cam replaced at 160k. They are a known issue with these engines, they wear and start short stroking the fuel pump and you get low fuel pressure codes. I wonder if it is "breaking in" still?

Previous oil change was GC 0w-30, and the ones from 2010 were Rotella T6 5W-40

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The wear metals are from the cam breaking in so I wouldn't worry. It'll settle down.

confused2.gif
confused2.gif

You're joking, right?
I'd go back to using the T6

Last edited:
No he's not kidding. That is exactly what is going to happen. New metal parts in any engine has to throw metal until the break-in period ( for that new metal) has ended.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The wear metals are from the cam breaking so I wouldn't worry. It'll settle down.

I fixed it for you.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: smonska
Mostly highway miles. 5qts of makeup oil added over 11k miles (has burned a quart every 2k since motor was new).

Yes, these engines have wrong piston rings tension. Your catalyst is SO 'happy"...

5 quarts of make up oil, current and previous OCI. is that correct? With that much make up oil surprised the numbers for iron are that high?? Also, make up oil went from 1.5 to 5 quarts? Something is amiss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back