Pennzoil Webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps they are getting ready to eliminate the Pennzoil brand by gradually reducing its visibility. Shell owns that brand and in the interest of economy of scale it would be more effective to
eliminate the extra cost of marketing the separate brand when they can simply market the Shell brand in the US and Canada .
Pennzoil is virtually unknown in any other market around the world.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The Pennzoil name is worth too much to ditch.

Today cost efficiency is king, I would have agreed with you over a decade ago, but the shareholders want to maximize profit and the cost of marketing TWO brands selling similar products in the same area is a waste of money. Shell is the parent company and the brand is just as well known if not more so in the US and Canada as opposed to
Pennzoil. Also important to remember that younger generations don't identify with Pennzoil like they do with Shell, which is better known, I like the history of the Pennzoil brand but the cost of keeping it going is hard to justify. Same vein as Pontiac, and Oldsmobile.

There are still plenty of people that think pennzoil is the best and would never buy quaker state or shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Today cost efficiency is king, I would have agreed with you over a decade ago, but the shareholders want to maximize profit and the cost of marketing TWO brands selling similar products in the same area is a waste of money. Shell is the parent company and the brand is just as well known if not more so in the US and Canada as opposed to
Pennzoil. Also important to remember that younger generations don't identify with Pennzoil like they do with Shell, which is better known, I like the history of the Pennzoil brand but the cost of keeping it going is hard to justify. Same vein as Pontiac, and Oldsmobile.

I don't think Shell is better known than Pennzoil in the motor oil market in the US. I know I have seen Shell conventional at Costco and maybe an odd bottle or two at O'Reilly, AutoZone, Pep Boys, and Napa but Pennzoil definitely has better market penetration and name recognition in the PCMO market. I know our Aussie friends do not have Pennzoil but I have not heard complaints of the lack of Pennzoil branding in Canada. The products may be hard to find there but Pennzoil is known and used.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
There are still plenty of people that think pennzoil is the best and would never buy quaker state or shell.

Unless Shell starts branding Pennzoil with the Shell name as well, which is probably what they will do during the transition. You will see BOTH names on the bottle in the future, and then they will eventually drop the Pennzoil name in time.

Last edited:

^^This times a million! That would be the death of the company.

Originally Posted By: Justin251

Unless Shell starts branding Pennzoil with the Shell name as well, which is probably what they will do during the transition. You will see BOTH names on the bottle in the future, and then they will eventually drop the Pennzoil name in time.

I agree. I'm just saying right now that's how it is.

Man I talked to a guy that loves gmc but thinks chevys are junk. People are dumb sometimes lol.

Last edited:

I would think the QS brand would get the axe before Pennzoil at this point. Eventually i can see both being gone and replaced with Shell branded only, a little too bold a move at this time IMO.

1) Pennzoil name is going nowhere, too much market share and recognition
2) what are u taking about the website? It is the most modem one. It is tailored to mobile devices and has all the info u need. If u want to pick on a site that needs some updating check out Castrol....its a mess!

Last edited:
Their website has always been...challenging. It has nothing to do with conspiracy theories of the names' demise.

Companies have been purchased just to get the name. A good name is money in the bank. Pennzoil is here to stay. It's the same with say, Mobil 1, money in the bank.

All modern engine oils are about the same. Performance wise there's not any difference to speak of other than marketing hype. A spec here and a spec there are of note but that's about it. It's the brand name that spells the difference.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
1) Pennzoil name is going nowhere, too much market share and recognition

How anyone can think anything different to this, including for Quaker State, is beyond me.

Perhaps they are getting ready to eliminate the Pennzoil brand by gradually reducing its visibility. Shell owns that brand and in the interest of economy of scale it would be more effective to eliminate the extra cost of marketing the separate brand when they can simply market the Shell brand in the US and Canada.

They bought Pennzoil-Quaker State because of brand visibility. Formula Shell has never had the visibility that either of those brands. The reason why Shell sells more conventional lubes than anyone else in North America is because of those two names. Without them, we'd have a disaster on their hands.

As was already pointed out, some people will use Pennzoil but not Quaker State or Formula Shell, or some other combination thereof. Few people outside of the industry and BITOG even know that they're all part of the same company.

In North America, getting rid of the Shell name for PCMOs would be the least painful, but not good for the reputation on the brand. On the other hand, getting rid of the Shell brand for HDEOs in North America would be as nonsensical as winding down Pennzoil or Quaker State.

I never knew that She'll made a PCMO until rather recently... Then I saw it at Home Depot for a really good price. Made me do some research.. A solid oil for a very good price. $13.47 for a 5 qt container.. Pretty sporty
smile.gif

Ohh HD also has Pennzoil conventional for the same price has Wally world..$16.47 5 qt container. Guess where I will get this from now on? Home Depot.
I don't see any of the brands going away.. Could be wrong but I just see them keeping them all on board. I think the they have made Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra a bit too complicated with the nomenclature for some folks out there.

I'd use the Formula Shell without concern, too. Many years ago, before ILSAC oils, there was a little more overlap between Formula Shell and Rotella. I wish our Home Depots would get on board. They will, I'm sure, eventually.
wink.gif

Yeah man I was quite surprised that they had such good prices at Home Depot too.. Very competitive. I wish the auto parts stores were more competitive on a daily basis. Though the sales are really pretty decent on average
smile.gif

None of those names are going anywhere.

Yes, they do overlap each other, but each has its own fans and brand recognition, which adds up to just more sales for SOPUS.

If one HAD to go, it would be Formula Shell, NOT Pennzoil of Quaker State. Formula Shell may be a great oil, but it doesn't have the continuity that the other two have - remember, Shell conventional used to be 'X-100'; then it was 'Fire and Ice', now it is 'Formula Shell'...Pennzoil has always been Pennzoil; QS has always been QS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back