First thing you do when you buy a used car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on what you are buying. A low mileage newer car? I agree with demarpaint and i check most of that out ahead of time so i don't buy hidden problems. For a low priced car, Bad brakes and old tires are where you get the deals. The owners that can't work on their cars have and older car with worn out brakes and shocks and tires are'nt going to sink the cost of paying someone to fix them. I can do brakes and shocks for at least 1/3 of what you will pay a shop. so i look for good cars with those problems that i can take care of inexpensively.
See my thead on the $550 car.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3745943/1

This car i pulled the wheels and checked the brakes all around, they were all new. Changed the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs, changed the oil.
Installed a new belt tensioner.
about $100 spent and its ready to go.

Last edited:
Keep it simple: Take it for a good 20-30 mile test drive. Take it everywhere (city, highway), and get a feel for it. I'm betting you'll figure out if it needs anything, which it may not. Though I would still check the fluids too....

Thinking this car is in better shape than everybody thinks-his sister is giving him the car so he can save money and finish school...so it would be in decent shape worst case.

If everything checks out, give it a good detail. Then plan to put a few bucks aside for updates and repairs and you will be good....

One of the first things I do when I take possession of the car is to practice changing a flat tire. This is to make sure all the hardware is in place and works, and to train the operator.

I ran the Kitacam for 3k miles on the dealer fill, but at 3k I changed it AND all the other fluids....as well as a few rubber parts that could have lasted longer, but felt sooner is better regarding mounts and such....

I always thought I should wash, and wax every car I bought, beforehand. That's when you see everything you missed at first sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back