Too good of an oil for an older diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YTK

Hi,

I have an older Toyota Hilux (European market) with a 2.4L non turbo IDI engine.
I have been using Castrol Tection Global 15W40 for a while now with good results I believe, it is rated API CI-4.

A dealer is now offering me for the same price and quantity the Castrol Tection Extra 15W40 which is rated CJ-4. I wonder if this one could be too "new" for this older engine? As from what I understand the main goal of the newer oils is to reduce environmental pollution but the reduction of some harmful additives might not suit an older engine? For example I checked the product data file and found that the "Extra" has less Ash then the "Global" also the TBN number of the "Extra" is lower then the "Global".

Any Comments?

Thanks,
YTK

It won't be a problem at all. The "sky is falling" mentality happened at the CJ-4 rollout, but was shown relatively quickly to not be an issue whatsoever. I'm really surprised that there are retailers south of the border still selling CI-4 products. Up here, Imperial Oil (our XOM) got rid of anything older than CJ-4 many years back.

Whichever one is cheaper-when OH (& IL) switched to ULSD a few years back, the need for high TBN oils (like CI-4+ and older) dropped significantly. The CJ-4 is backward compatible.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it, I do use a lot of SVO and Biodiesel but my last oil analysis was quite good, I add around 3 liters of oil for 10000 km which is a bit high I suppose.
Does the above information change the answer to which oil is better?
IL stands for Israel not Illinois, sorry for the misunderstanding. Our ULSD is is around 10 ppm.

Thanks,

YTK

He he, well, Israel certainly changes what products might be available to you, but if the diesel is decent, it won't change a lot of things. That consumption is a bit high, in that I'd call it annoying, but not exactly alarming. What is the sump size?

Originally Posted By: YTK
but the reduction of some harmful additives might not suit an older engine? For example I checked the product data file and found that the "Extra" has less Ash then the "Global" also the TBN number of the "Extra" is lower then the "Global".

Any Comments?

Thanks,
YTK

None of the extra additives in CI4 oils are "harmful" to anything except exhaust post-treatment, which you don't have.

Charlie

Sump size is 6 liters. Actually oil consumption increased in about 1 liter when I changed to the Castrol, before that I used some German made oil. I figured it might have been the increased amount of solvents in the Castrol which removed some deposits and increased the blow by? But as I said oil report was good and no pressure or gasses seem to exit the dipstick tube.

Thanks!

Hmmm.... probably not "blow by" but only that different manufacturers use different oil bases...

I have the same problem here....if I am using castrol there is aproximately 0,5L of oil consumption on OCI interval (15.000kms), but if I am using Shell there is no oil consumption....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back