Wax recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee in ballistic silver. The Jeep was built in April. I wanted to put a good wax or protectant on the front bumper and hood to keep bug guts from damaging my paint. How soon can I put something on the paint?
What do you recommend? I have a new bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (pure synthetic polymer)

Last edited:
You can wax any old time. The Megs Ultimate should be just fine.

If I lived in the Carolinas I'd investigate the Duragloss two part system. People who live in warm climates swear by it (NC product).

Last edited:
You should be able to buy a "bug sponge" at a professional detail supply store. They're awesome. Soak them in your wash bucket for about 10 minutes until it softens up a bit and just gently scrub the bugs right off the car. Doesn't scratch the paint or even the plastic headlights. Only cost me a few bucks.

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax is good. Easy on and easy off. It seems to last pretty good as well. I currently have it on my VW. Its been on the car for about 6 weeks and its holding up pretty good. I got a sample size bottle with something and gave it a try. I've been pleased. I use other Meg's products and have been impressed with most of their Ultimate line up.

My usual go to is Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SPR) topped with Extra Gloss Protection (EGP) sealant. Looks great and lasts!

I've gone to using Collinite 845, but you can't go wrong with any of the above recommendations. I'd check the finish before sealing/waxing though. If it's not as smooth a a baby's butt when swiped with something like cellophane. you're best off either claying or nanoskining first. Had to do it with my brand new truck last year. Rail or road dust just seems to attach itself to the finish and a regular wash just won't remove it.

Search for "sealant test". I think it was on autogeek. The guy put something like 30 sealants to the test on a motorhome. I use chemical guys m-seal based upon that test.

Or go expensive and get some opticoat.

As said, get the bugs off quickly. The acids can etch the paint, my minivan is proof to that.

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax is a great product, I have used it in the recent past and I have no complaints other that when applied in the sun (I live in FL kind of hard to avoid) it is a bit harder to remove than some other liquid waxes. Right now Turtle Wax Liquid is my go to, I never thought I'd say that I used Turtle Wzx, but they are really making some good products these days.

Meguiars Ultimate Paste is a great product which last a long time when applied correctly. I also live in FL and my vehicles are kept outside. The secret is to pay attention to humidity if you can and after applying the product give it time to set up. If you try to remove it too soon it will smear and be a pain to take off. Give it time and it comes off real easy. Just be sure if you use a slow orbital bonnet that you go over the vehicle with a microfiber towel when you are done to pick up any residue. I have yet to find anything that last as long in the Sunshine state. Nu Finish is also good but its NOT Meguiars and you need to be careful. It also stinks as far as smell!

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I like to use Klasse AIO with Collinite 845 over the top of it. Great shine, and it's about as durable and long-lasting as you can get.

I've used this combo as well, great for the person who doesn't detail their car a lot. Water was beading well for close to a year.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0

Goes on easy and lasts and lasts.

No offense to the poster but absolutely the worst product ever for durability, a true joke of a sealant. It does look good for maybe ten days and that's the end of it. I would only recommend this to someone I didn't like at all.

The car paint is baked at the factory so there is no reason to wait at all. Clay the car then use Duragloss #105. If you wish you can use Duragloss #601 with it for even more durability. Twice a year will keep you in the good for a long long time. It is very reasonable price wise also. I speak from experience having earned my living knowing these products and how to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back