Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

They're a software developer based in Austin,TX. In the tech baloon they were painfully high. I think there's a significant upswing potential to be 15ish in the next 6 months. More than 50% is owned by institutional investors--and they bought'em high. Since they've hung on to them even thru the muck, that says something about it alone. As long as the institutions hold'em, it will be strong. Right now, you can see it roll a few cents everytime it moves up, a guy with a some money could by a few thousand shares and download for a quick profit over and over again--not that I'd do that though...;')

Z

They're a software developer based in Austin,TX. In the tech baloon they were painfully high. I think there's a significant upswing potential to be 15ish in the next 6 months. More than 50% is owned by institutional investors--and they bought'em high. Since they've hung on to them even thru the muck, that says something about it alone. As long as the institutions hold'em, it will be strong. Right now, you can see it roll a few cents everytime it moves up, a guy with a some money could by a few thousand shares and download for a quick profit over and over again--not that I'd do that though...;')

willie,
Thanks for the info......I was reading the fundamentals a bit....sound alright. I'll see what Morningstar has to say about it.......if anything.

Pablo,
Yeah baby!!!
grin.gif
.......LU up $.34 plus another $.04 in after hours trading.

From MSN Money:

quote:

Lucent mentioned favorably in Barron's (LU) 4.11: Barron's highlights Lucent, which stock has gone from 58 cents a share on Oct. 11, 2002 to recent a recent high of $5. The article suggests Lucent's days as a purely speculative play may be numbered. The communications-equipment producer is making money again as telephone, cable and wireless companies boost capital spending. Lucent also has discovered the Pentagon's fat wartime budget; it has a contract with Bechtel for telephone switches in Iraq

Things are looking fairly good for LU, although it was annouced today of a "possible" lawsuit from some German dudes.

GM,
PGH looks good too!!...........500 shares???
gr_eek2.gif
.....I could also buy 500 or more, but I would have any $$$ left. A bit too pricey for me.

Z, I'm ashamed to say I'm down about 380k from this time 4 years ago. I like to blame it on a 9 day stay in the hospital when the NASDAQ tanked in April of 2000.

The truth is I made 250k trading one stock and didn't immunize my gains by buying more solid companies. I never lost a dime on the stock that made me the dough, but lost on other speculative stocks.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Z, I'm ashamed to say I'm down about 380k from this time 4 years ago. I like to blame it on a 9 day stay in the hospital when the NASDAQ tanked in April of 2000.

The truth is I made 250k trading one stock and didn't immunize my gains by buying more solid companies. I never lost a dime on the stock that made me the dough, but lost on other speculative stocks.

Holy $hit, man!!
freak2.gif
I think I'm fainting!
gr_eek2.gif

That's more cash than I have made in my almost 11 years in the States! You know, Stalin was nicknamed "The man of Steel"......I think I'm gonna call you "The man with the steel ballz"
I'm sure $380k is pocket change for some out there....but not me though. Anyway, besides the hospital deal.....what else happened? Did it begin dropping and you thought it was temporary? Was it some tech stock?
Around Arpil 2000 is when all hell broke lose......I'm assuming you didn't foresee what was coming.

Sound like you are into this stuff big time, so I'm assuming you are somewhat of a pro. The markets are looking decent and profits are returning and cash seems to be flowing again. Terrorism is the wild card though......as long as we can avoid those, we should be ok.
Hope you don't mind my asking and hope you make you money back.
patriot.gif

Rick

EDIT: One last thing.....nothing to be ashamed of. People make mistakes......it looks as if your mistake and/or event happen exactly at the worst possible time. Don't be hard on yourself (although it's easier said than done)

[ January 27, 2004, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

willie,

I had $137 burning a hole in my virtual pocket, so I decided to buy 53 shares of VIGN. According to Morningstar.com, the stock is ok, although it seems I would have to keep it for a while before I can possibly make a buck.
We'll see what happens!
wink.gif

Rick

Z, I got lucky and the money is in a retirement account so there were no tax cosequences either way.

It made me think I was so nimble that I understood the market better than I did. I can't tell the number of people I knew in '99 and 2000 who were making 6 digits in stocks. I still hunt and peck for another one but I'm a little gun shy.

I figured that last year I made about 30% with 70% of my money in cash. If I had been invested I would have doubled up, but other health and personal issues kept me from actively investing/trading.

I had an idea to take most of my funds and but Phillip Morris at 18/share at that time when the dividend was 10%. I let myself get talked out of it and I paid for it. I just try to learn each day that I'm not that smart and that money isn't everything. Your family and friends will bring you much more in the long run.

I'm guessing you already knew that!

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Your family and friends will bring you much more in the long run.

I'm guessing you already knew that!

GM,

Those are very wise words and couldn't agree more. I love my family very much....especially my little angel . She's my life and I couldn't possibly make enough money to equal her value. We've been through some tough times with my baby and my job(notice my bag in the background after returning from a 5 month deployment.) I give a lot of credit to my loving wife which has put up with a LOT since we got married.

Anyway.....yes....I agree.....money, although needed, is really nothing!
patriot.gif

Thanks for sharing. She is precious. I can't imagine you leaving her for deployment. I hope the rest of life brings you and yours good times and happiness.

My good thoughts go out to your wife as well, I'm sure it's tough on her when your gone and her complaints are few.

cheers.gif

Actually........my wife lets "my angel" get away with murder.....I'm the tough one; but you are right though....my wife did not complaint eventhough she has no family members here in SA whatsoever. She is from Modesto,CA (I'm sure you've heard that name before) and I'm from Miami,FL.....I don't have any relatives close by either.

Getting back on topic.....Lu was awarded a $12.5 mil contract by the USAF to "demonstrate packet routing architectures for the optical domain and optical technologies for wavelength switching, optical buffering, sub-nanosecond switching and multichannel regeneration"......whatever the heck that means.
I didn't know stocks were so much fun..........that's until I lose my dough!
spaz.gif

Time to go home...see ya'll tomorrow!

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
[Holy $hit, man!!
freak2.gif
I think I'm fainting!
gr_eek2.gif

That's more cash than I have made in my almost 11 years in the States! You know, Stalin was nicknamed "The man of Steel"......I think I'm gonna call you "The man with the steel ballz"
I'm sure $380k is pocket change for some out there....but not me though. Anyway, besides the hospital deal.....what else happened? Did it begin dropping and you thought it was temporary? Was it some tech stock?
[/QB]

Those who understand compounding will benifit from it, those who don't will lose. It takes time to compound your earnings, we don't know how old groucho is
dunno.gif

I'm 33, been investing for about 4 years(before that I didn't understand compounding, so I paid instead of received) anyhow if I don't have at least 1 million by the time I'm 60 there will be something wrong. It only take $100,000 compounded 3 1/2 times to make 1 million. At 12% return it will take 7 years to double, so in 21 or so years you could expect to have 1 million. $100,000 is not that much money, and we are no talking cash, we are talking "Net Worth" everything that you own, which would be a house, investments, cash, property vehicles, "toy's" and so forth. Some of your investments take from your net worth and some add to it.

Your goal should be to add at least 10% of your earnings to your net worth, plus the 12% compounding of your investments and you will be suprised how fast your empire will grow, though a little luck in there and you could be rich by the time your 60.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
mspark,
I understand compounding....I turned 28 in November and started investing in May last year. I have a long way to go, but I'm hoping to compound my way into a decent retirement.

Rick

Read this book

"The Richest Man in Babylon" by george s clason.

That should give you some comfort knowing that you are on the right track and doing the right thing.

Good Luck, 28 is definately not too late!

I have been investing since I was 18! Thats when I did a lease option on my first home. I read Robert Allen books when I was still in high school. I was convinced I would retire by the time I hit 28! Well I am still working!

I busted my butt and put into that home everything I had! When all my friends were partying I was working on the home. We eventually bought another home and rented that one out. Since I found rentals to be a pain we sold it 4 years later. The real estate has been great with the appreciation the past 10 years.

Stocks and real estate for the long term!

mspark,
I understand compounding....I turned 28 in November and started investing in May last year. I have a long way to go, but I'm hoping to compound my way into a decent retirement.

Rick

Here is a good article that is comparing 2000 to 2004. Are we ready for a pullback?? I'm on the fence, but am thinking of taking some money off the table.

BTW, I have had Avaya(VOIP) which just released positive earnings, up over $1 in premarket today. I'm up about 20% on this one.
Are we pulling back

Well,

I couldn't stand it. AV is up $2.75 today. That is about 18% in a day. It started to pull back so I sold at $18.05 per share. Made 41% on this one. Of coarse it has went higher, but I'm not greedy.

I think I'll get back in under $16/share. But will see what happens in the near term.

Hey guys,
Well, LU is down $.16 today. The markets took a beating today after the feds threaten or warn there might be a interest rate hike in the near future. Do you guys think we are in for a long breather? I wonder if I should move my "stop limit" up a bit more?

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back