Dusty Rhodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, am I the only person on BITOG that grew up watching wrestling? I'm surprised that no one mentioned anything.

I don't watch wrestling nowadays because it's no ways as good as it used to be (it's seriously lacking personalities and storylines), but when I look back on my childhood, watching wrestling (primarily NWA/Mid Atlantic Wrestling/WCW - Jim Crockett Promotions) and seeing Dusty Rhodes along with other all time greats is something that always puts a smile on my face whenever I take a trip down memory lane.

The Missing Link (Dewey Robertson) died years ago.The American Dream,Dusty Rhodes was the working man's wrestler.He was one of them...the son of a plumber.With charisma too.Very few have ever come close.

+1000 NHGUY; you took the words out of my mouth
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Where is the Missing Link??

Wow, you took it waaaaaaay back. I remember The Missing Link and Sunshine back in the early 80s when I was a little boy. I couldn't have been any more than about 4 or 5 years old.

Oh I watched a TON of Wrestling in the 70's, 80's, 90's & 00's.

It was BIG in the Twin Cities & I also watched a lot on Cable as well. We just lost Verne Gagne too.

RIP Dusty.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
So, am I the only person on BITOG that grew up watching wrestling? I'm surprised that no one mentioned anything.

I don't watch wrestling nowadays because it's no ways as good as it used to be (it's seriously lacking personalities and storylines), but when I look back on my childhood, watching wrestling (primarily NWA/Mid Atlantic Wrestling/WCW - Jim Crockett Promotions) and seeing Dusty Rhodes along with other all time greats is something that always puts a smile on my face whenever I take a trip down memory lane.

Too bad about Dusty Rhodes. He never really wrestled on TV or at any shows I went to when I was watching wrestling but I used to read about him all the time. The few times I saw him he was very entertaining though and I liked him. It is said to see he has passed.

As far as your general comments on wrestling...

I agree, wrestling has gone to pot. I watched wrestling all the time as a kid up through say the early - mid 80's. By the late 80's - early 90's I was done with it. Used to watch it Saturday at noon religiously and I subscribed to a lot of the popular magazines about it. I went to quite a few shows/events too.

Back when I watched it was 3 main federations that covered the east, central, and west. It was the WWWF/WWF in the east, NWA in the center, and then the one out west I can't remember the name of? I think it was the AWA/NWA or something like that? Verne Gagne and Nick Bockwinkle were long time champions in that federation back then whatever it was called.

I gave up on wrestling and lost total interest when it shifted to what it has become today. I do not like wrestling now. It used to be exciting and sort of on the funny side. Now it is just vulgar and stupid(IMO). Vince McMahon Jr really lost me when he went from the simple good guy son of Vince Sr to whatever he is now.

Where I grew up it was always the WWWF( Vince Sr ) and then the WWF( Vince Jr )so the guys I saw and enjoyed watching were( just to see how many I can remember )...

The Good Guys:
Bruno Sammartino( 60's-70's champion )
Bob Backlund( 70's-80's champion )
Arnold Skaaland ( wrestler & manager )
Gorilla Monsoon
Andre The Giant
Pedro Morales
Pat Patterson( was bad at 1st )
Tony Atlas
Chief Jay Strongbow
Tony Garea & Rick Martel ( tag team )
Ivan Putski( POLISH POWER!!!! ) & Tito Santana ( tag team )
The Bushwhackers ( tag team )
Hulk Hogan( I like the old Hulk much better than the new )
Haystacks Calhoun
Quick Draw Rick McGraw
Hacksaw Jim Dugan
Ricky The Dragon Steamboat
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
Wendi Richter ( HOT female champion )

The Bad Guys:
Nature Boy Buddy Roberts ( wrestler and manager )
Superstar Billy Graham
Ivan Kolof
Killer Kowalski
The executioners ( tag team )
The Wild Samoans ( tag team )
The Moon Dogs ( tag team )
Lou Albano( manager )
Classy Freddie Blassie ( wrestler & manager )
The Grand Wizard ( manager )
Magnificent Morocco
Greg Valentine
Jesse The Body Ventura
Mr. Fuji
Professor Tanaka
King Kong Bundy
Big John Stud
Iron Shiek
Nikoli Volkof
George The Animal Steele
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Sargent Slaughter
The Fabulous Moolah( female champion forever )

Wow, I can't believe I remembered that many, even though I know I am forgetting a ton, it has been so long since I really watched it.

Good walk down memory lane.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
I remember a Dirty Dusty Rhodes from the 70's, don't know if it was the same guy.

That was him( although I can't say for sure on the time - just the name ). Lots of famous wrestlers with long careers had a couple different names and even flipped between good and bad.

His real name was Joe Blanchard. His ring names were

Dirty Dusty Rhodes
Dusty Rhodes
Dusty Runnels
The Midnight Rider

His had sort of a nickname too - The American Dream

I also remember

Jake the snake Roberts
Ted DiBiase the million dollar man
The Rockers
The british bulldog
The Ultimate Warrior

but we didn't get to see a lot of wrestling over here, and only WWF if and when we did...

Never did see Dusty Rhodes

Originally Posted By: Turk
You forgot Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

Weasel. Weasel. Weasel.

LOL...

Yup. Forgot him. Definite weasel.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I also remember

Jake the snake Roberts
Ted DiBiase the million dollar man
The Rockers
The british bulldog
The Ultimate Warrior

but we didn't get to see a lot of wrestling over here, and only WWF if and when we did...

Never did see Dusty Rhodes

Know of and even saw these guys but it was pretty much at the end of when I watched.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: qdeezie

Too bad about Dusty Rhodes. He never really wrestled on TV or at any shows I went to when I was watching wrestling but I used to read about him all the time. The few times I saw him he was very entertaining though and I liked him. It is said to see he has passed.

As far as your general comments on wrestling...

I agree, wrestling has gone to pot. I watched wrestling all the time as a kid up through say the early - mid 80's. By the late 80's - early 90's I was done with it. Used to watch it Saturday at noon religiously and I subscribed to a lot of the popular magazines about it. I went to quite a few shows/events too.

Back when I watched it was 3 main federations that covered the east, central, and west. It was the WWWF/WWF in the east, NWA in the center, and then the one out west I can't remember the name of? I think it was the AWA/NWA or something like that? Verne Gagne and Nick Bockwinkle were long time champions in that federation back then whatever it was called.

I gave up on wrestling and lost total interest when it shifted to what it has become today. I do not like wrestling now. It used to be exciting and sort of on the funny side. Now it is just vulgar and stupid(IMO). Vince McMahon Jr really lost me when he went from the simple good guy son of Vince Sr to whatever he is now.

Where I grew up it was always the WWWF( Vince Sr ) and then the WWF( Vince Jr )so the guys I saw and enjoyed watching were( just to see how many I can remember )...

The Good Guys:
Bruno Sammartino( 60's-70's champion )
Bob Backlund( 70's-80's champion )
Arnold Skaaland ( wrestler & manager )
Gorilla Monsoon
Andre The Giant
Pedro Morales
Pat Patterson( was bad at 1st )
Tony Atlas
Chief Jay Strongbow
Tony Garea & Rick Martel ( tag team )
Ivan Putski( POLISH POWER!!!! ) & Tito Santana ( tag team )
The Bushwhackers ( tag team )
Hulk Hogan( I like the old Hulk much better than the new )
Haystacks Calhoun
Quick Draw Rick McGraw
Hacksaw Jim Dugan
Ricky The Dragon Steamboat
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
Wendi Richter ( HOT female champion )

The Bad Guys:
Nature Boy Buddy Roberts ( wrestler and manager )
Superstar Billy Graham
Ivan Kolof
Killer Kowalski
The executioners ( tag team )
The Wild Samoans ( tag team )
The Moon Dogs ( tag team )
Lou Albano( manager )
Classy Freddie Blassie ( wrestler & manager )
The Grand Wizard ( manager )
Magnificent Morocco
Greg Valentine
Jesse The Body Ventura
Mr. Fuji
Professor Tanaka
King Kong Bundy
Big John Stud
Iron Shiek
Nikoli Volkof
George The Animal Steele
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Sargent Slaughter
The Fabulous Moolah( female champion forever )

Wow, I can't believe I remembered that many, even though I know I am forgetting a ton, it has been so long since I really watched it.

Good walk down memory lane.

Gotta correct you.

André the giant turned heel once he challenged hogan for the title. They were best friends and he back door'd him.
George the animal Steele turned baby face with his love for the macho mans wife Elizabeth.
Roddy piper turned baby face too.

Sgt. slaughter was a baby face then went heel with that nonsense in the late 80s and turned Arab or something.

The wwe reached it peak with the rock and Steve Austin. I'd get shivers when I heard their songs come on.

If you smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll.....what the Rock............is coooookin.

Jake the snake was a devout Christian. He would quote scripture in the dressing rooms.
Steve Austin got tired of hearing it so as the snake was about to quote something Austin pipes up saying " well Austin 3:16 says I gonna whoop your [censored]"
And the rest is history.

Yeah. I watched from the time I was 10. I quit watching once these new guys emerged like Jon cera,so maybe 10 years ago or so.

When I first started there were some small TV shows. Nwa and the awa and of course the wwf.
Vince McMahon was a genius. Then him and Ted turner tried to be the Kings,and turner lost b
The Ted turner stuff was retarded. Such great athletes doing such dumb story lines. But it gave guys who hated Vince somewhere to work.
Once Vince got it all a lot guys were forced into retirement.
The wcw is where good wrestlers went to die. The wwe made legends.

Last edited:
At the old Sportatorium in Dallas in the 70s and 80s,Dusty wrestled along with The Von Erich's,Rick Rude,Free birds,Skandar Akbar,Chris Adams,Jake the snake Roberts,Andre the Giant
I haven't thought of some of these guys in years.
Every Sat night on TV live from the Sportatorium.
Back then we thought maybe it was all scripted but to my grandmother those were fighting words!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back