5w20 verses 5w30 in other countries without cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't make any sense at all. A 0w20 is still thicker cold than a 0w40 hot. Its fear mongering to keep owners using the oil the manufacturer used for CAFE reasons.
The OE spec 5W30 and 0W40 in these engines in other countries with no issues with that system whatsoever.

Quote:
: Chrysler MODELL: 300 (2011 - ) TYP: 300 5.7 HEMI V8 (2013 - )
Motorenöle für Sie
5W-30 A3/B4

Quote:
Chrysler MODELL: 300 (2011 - ) TYP: 300 6.4 HEMI V8 SRT8 (2013 - )
Motorenöle für Sie
0W-40 A3/B4

IIRC in 05 they did spec 5w20 but Chrysler changed it to 5w30.

Trav,
that's what I find perpetually laughable about these discussions (not that they recommend other lubes for Oz).

If the cam actuators won't work on a 14cst lube at 100C, they won't work on a 5W20 at 80C.

I'm presuming that they work during warm-up on the "specified" (for the US oil)...even when they are 100+ times thicker than at operating temperature.

Sonata 2.4
Even though I've noticed no difference with any of the (U.S. Hyundai) recommended viscosity 5w20/30 and 10w30, for the purpose of this dicussion, I've searched Hyundai and oil company recommendations over seas. Yes, 5w30 and even 0w30 is the predominant recommendation. Valvoline recommends 5w20 as a fuel economy choice on their european website, but that was it. I wonder if the difference was as pronounced pre-CAFE?

Originally Posted By: LubricatusObsess
My Ram truck OM specifically says not to vary from 5W-20 specifically for this reason - the HEMI engine's cylinder deactivation will not 'work right' (whatever that means) with other viscosity engine oils. Over the ambient temperature spectrum.

Interesting that there is a specific reason given to use xw20. And that this reason is tied to the oil viscosity when it is fully warmed up (ie cylinder deactivation is freeway cruising) rather than something that needs to take place at all oil temperatures.

I will say that my 5.7L "Hemi" in my 300 is pretty quiet using Amsoil 5W20. (well, except for the requisite hemi lifter tick)

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/consume...-saves-fuel.htm

...Chrysler's system was designed so the car or truck started off with all 8 cylinders functioning. Above 18 mph or so, if the engine was cruising lightly at moderate rpm, half the cylinders could shut down until they were needed again to accelerate or climb a hill-whenever the load increased.

Special lifters were forced by oil pressure to collapse. As a result, the engine's camshaft was disengaged from the pushrods that acted upon selected valves in this overhead-valve design.Switching between 8- and 4-cylinder operation could take place in 40 milliseconds, according to Chrysler, and no fuel entered the unused cylinders. Chrysler claimed a fuel-economy improvement of 10 to 20 percent for Multi-Displacement in this Hemi V-8 engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Actually, Kia/Hyundai do have the oil type on the caps. I consider myself a visual learner and Nissan/Hyundai caps are nearly identical.

I checked my buddy's brand new Ford Tremor pickup, and it has 5w-30 right on the cab (Ecoboost). I haven't had the chance to check his Honda yet, since it's away getting some paint film and the like done.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Hondas are lasting a lot longer than that here using 15-40 - I don't think the oil killed it.
what OCIs are your friends using the 15-40 grade oil in hondas ?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Shannow, the Shell Australia site's premium choice for my G37's engine was a 10w-30, lighter than what I'm using now.
wink.gif

It is a balancing act for your G37... the 10w-30 is thicker at start up while the 5w-40 is thicker at temperature, both ways the engine says "hurray" !

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
My hyundais say 5w20 on the oil cap

Good to know. What year are your Hyundai's?

Our 2012 KIA has 5w20 on the cap too. The manual also allows 5w30 and 10w30 but it pushes the 5w20 hard of course.

Here's where I get chapped at CAFE. In our KIA manual and others I've seen the 5w20 recommendation comes hand in hand with the "optimum fuel economy" lingo. Not a word about "optimum protection". Then it goes on to state if any real work is to be done (like towing or driving in high heat) to jump to the 5w30 or 10w30.

From the manufacturers themselves it seems the 20 grades are all about CAFE. But even with the 5w20 I know the engine will likely out last the rest of the vehicle. It bugs me anyway though.
21.gif

When I first bought my car I noticed the same thing too in the owner's manual and wondered if there would be better protection with 5W-30 or 10W-30 oils.

longer engine life is generally from better 5 or 10 W 30 oils IMO. here in the usa they want that 1/4 mpg for cafe + care less once your warranty is gone!!

0W-20 or 5W-20 is not necessary except for severe cold weather. Running thin oil like that in hot weather is not gonna lubricate as well as a thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've never driven a car with 5W-20 in it. Can't imagine the engine being very quiet.

I started using M1 5-20 in 1978. My Dodge Slant 6 was very quite and purred like a kitten.

How many miles did you get out of your leaning tower of power? I had a couple of them, and except for carburetor issues they didn't miss a beat.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
If you're interested to see what oil companies recommend for different vehicles in Germany, the land of the world famous Autobahn, then google search for their oil change recommendations. Search for:

ölwegweiser (pick your brand of oil eg: Mobil, Castrol, Aral, etc)so you'd search "Ölwegweiser Castrol"

once you get the oil companies page select the "PKW" for Personenkraftwagen or imagine cars/light trucks.

Now just look for your vehicle or similar vehicle sold in Germany. You might get the USA and German recommendations so it's fascinating to compare the two.

I looked for a 2012 Honda Civic 1.8 liter vehicle on Valvoline Europes page. In USA they recommend 0W-20. In Germany it's 5W-30. I find it interesting to peruse the options.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Best way to find that info is to go on an oil company's site's lube match for your car. Try this one:

http://lubematch.shell.com.au

These are both very interesting reads. I especially like this recommendation

Back spec'd in the US to 5w20 I believe, and 10w40 or 15w40 in Australia....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
0W-20 or 5W-20 is not necessary except for severe cold weather. Running thin oil like that in hot weather is not gonna lubricate as well as a thicker oil.

What do mean it won't lubricate as well?

Originally Posted By: benjy
longer engine life is generally from better 5 or 10 W 30 oils IMO. here in the usa they want that 1/4 mpg for cafe + care less once your warranty is gone!!

How much longer life could I expect by changing my two Toyotas from 0W/5W-20 to a thicker oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back