Travel laptop that can render video on the fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
14" display or less, 1,600x900 resolution preferred. Must be able to render hour long H.D. videos in a hotel in reasonable time.

Durable with I7 processor preferred. 8+ gig ram. Looked at the ThinkPad T420s, and the Toshiba Portégé R30 I'm leaning toward the Toshiba.

Last edited:
Get one with a true video chipset (nVidia, etc) rather than Intel video, which shares the (much slower) CPU RAM. More Cores = faster rendering, so choose cores first, CPU speed 2nd. Stuff all the RAM the system allows. Solid State drives make a huge difference, so even if you have to compromise on size, go SSD.

Check prices; memory and drive upgrades are a profit centre for OEMs. Might be cost-effective to minimize RAM and HDD and install aftermarket RAM and SSD.

Toshiba and Lenovo both make excellent laptops. Apple laptops, properly configured, do excellent video rendering. You can install any Windows OS on them if you have no desire to run MacOS.

Last edited:
My vote goes to Lenovo. I own one and will replace my Dell with another one at some point.

I've got a Dell quad core i7 with 8Gb RAM and a 2Gb graphics card. I keep way too much stuff on it, programs especially. I should add that I travel about 20 days a month. My computer leads a hard life. It does everything, including play BluRay discs in full HD.

Just installed a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD.

it's phenomenal! The machine is several times faster at everything. Battery life is improved. It's just awesome.

So, no matter what you choose, get the cheapest drive, then put a good SSD in it.

Last edited:
"Rendering" can mean a whole lot of things; depending entirely on what you are asking your computer to do: Are you transcoding video atop fancy-pants 3D effects, scrolling text with drop shadows and alpha channels? Buckle up, that'll take a while. If you just need your video editing application to produce a playable video from some sequences you've cut together from smartphone footage, that is an entirely different ball game!

Either way, your graphics chip will not factor into offline rendering ("Offline" meaning the computer is NOT being tasked with playing an editing sequence back in real-time but is rather taking the "blueprints" of the editing timeline and crafting a finished video from it) as the software does not offload that to the GPU. You will simply need plain old, flat-out processing horsepower. This is where a multi-core i7 will come in handy. You can never have too much RAM.

The racks of systems in rendering farms don't even have graphics chips in them. It's just raw number crunching at that point. The expensive graphics chips come in awfully handy only when you are in the process of editing and need to playback sequences in real-time.

Your laptop, whichever you choose, was not designed for extended periods of CPU-intensive crunching like that so make darn certain it can stay as cool as possible.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Solid State drives make a huge difference, so even if you have to compromise on size, go SSD.

The thing about SSD drives is they are faster, but not in the way most important to me. I need faster rendering times, of which the CPU is the bottleneck. It'll be nice to go all SSD, as you said...for the space I require 15GB room for the video, the price just isn't there yet.

Disk access times won't speed up renders as the bottleneck is the CPU.

Now I'm looking for a Quad Core I7 with 8 threds in a 13-14" laptop, not a "tuned down" dual core. Does this laptop exist?

I edit with Sony Vegas, but more because I know it absurdly well than anything.

The laptop I have right now takes 2 1/2 days to render a hour and a half of finished video. 1080p at 60fps. I'm using now a HP ProBook 443s with horrid resolution.(1376x768)

Must be able to easily fit backpacks, that is how we travel.

Last edited:
Okay, I think I found something that I like, tell me what you think.

Toshiba Portege R30 13.3" display.

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Processor (6M Cache,up to 3.50 GHz) with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 4 cores 8 threads.

8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB + 4GB)

750GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)

13.3" HD TFT LED Backlit Low Power Display (1366x768, 300NIT)

Standard Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell, 66Wh)

Aftermarket HD caddy

Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Have you thought about rendering to a codec or format that, although consuming much more disk space, renders more quickly? You could perhaps take those renders and re-compress them for a final delivery format later on using a desktop system with a proper Xeon CPU that a) is designed to run hard for extended periods and b) can be left in one spot to run while you carry on with your life.

I get the feeling h.264/ 265 might be involved in your work flow if rendering times are this high for you. It's been a while since I have used Vegas - which was by far my favourite editor - but in Final Cut Pro I often use one of the Apple professional codecs at ridiculously high bitrates just to get something to act as a "master" from which I transcode to whatever delivery formats I need from then on. (For shorter-form videos I will even sometimes render out to **uncompressed** and then compress the file to a .zip file. The file size ends up being not-too-silly and when un-zipped I get my uncompressed master to encode - not transcode - from. Not for the faint of heart nor for those with limited disk space, however; and certainly not fit for a 90 minute video!)

Whatever you get, your priority #1 is a powerful CPU, and I think the most expensive i7 is your best bet. If I were you I would gather data about which i7-equipped laptops can handle high heat for long periods without something failing. You can never have too much RAM, of course; but you just need to crunch numbers as fast as possible.

The other thing I'd consider is tossing a few multi-TB HDD's in my backpack and leave the native video captures and Vegas files on it, and render when I get home. That'd be cheaper, too.

May I ask what format your source videos are? I also want to underscore how much longer rendering will take if and when you use motion, alpha channel and compositing effects.

EDIT: Portable render farm? http://www.boxxtech.com/products/rendering-and-simulation/renderpro - You might need a slightly larger backpack!

I was just wondering what the two pass render does and does it actually make the quality noticibly different. That is why it takes so long. I always render with two pass but is obviously takes twice as long. Should I bother?

Last edited:
The first pass of a 2-pass render enables the codec to better (better = smaller file size and better looking picture) squish the material on the second pass. Whether it is worth it in terms of extra time and any extra picture quality/ file size is largely dependent on the source material (the format and codec of the native video and the nature of what effects and compositing imposed upon the native video during the editing process).

I always use a 2-pass render for final delivery BUT:

1) Time is not so critical for me: I have a powerful rendering machine and I can let it run through the night.

2) My source material doesn't get too mangled up in the editing process and - **at high bitrates/ minimal compression** - I actually rarely perceive a difference on my monitors, which are decent. For those that really, really need to eek every ounce of quality out of limited file sizes, 2-pass is requisite, of course.

See here for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bitrate#Multi-pass_encoding_and_single-pass_encoding

If time is a critical factor for you and file size is NOT, then you could probably get away with churning out high bitrate single-pass renders (perhaps even at a [high] fixed bit rate where 2-pass doesn't even play as a factor) and you might save yourself some grief with a single-pass render.

h.264 (and way moreso, h.265) are indistinguishable to me from magic in how much quality they can jam *into a small file size*. It's voodoo, I swear it. But if you're OK with larger files, the renders can fly because there is much, much less work to do to achieve the voodoo or quality AND small file size.

I'll paraphrase an old saying: GOOD PICTURE, FAST RENDER, SMALL FILE. Pick two.

I'd recommend Lenovo due to relateively inexpensive warranty and excellent build quality. A very important attribute of them is the warranty service is extremely fast turn around.

At work we use Thinkpad and Toshiba. We had many Toshiba's fail with broken hinge on screen in a particular model. The turn around time for fix with them is 2 weeks. Thinkpad Lenovo folks get 2-3 day turn around time.

I find any turn around past a few days unacceptable with a work related machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back