Dreamliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Benito
I'm not flying Vietnam Airlines, that's for sure!

Exactly!

The point of the STUNT is what?
Proof that the wings don't fall off?

Sorry, give me an aircraft that gets me from A to B as efficiently as possible

Oh, an extra inch of legroom might be nice as well.

Last edited:
I saw that video a few weeks back. Awesome
I have seen them flying the first ones they had in the air a few years back. I live about 7 miles away from the air field.

The 787 pressurizes to make it feel as though you are at a lower altitude. I think most jets have you at at 15,000 ft, and the 787 has you as though you are at about 10,000 ft. Also because of composites. They can run the cabin air with more humidity.

Sounds like the A380 program is pretty much going down the tubes. The 787 has had some major problems, but it has huge potential.

Last edited:
All reeeeeeeeeeeeet... now thats my kind of take off... add a
couple of barrel rolls for fun... just don't spill my drink...

Tex Johnson rolls a Boeing 707...

This is 1955 folks, the engines don't have the power they have now, and it's a prototype aircraft....

Boeing President Allen asked a guest with a heart problem if he could borrow his pills.

https://youtu.be/3IV9PZW1N9U

Last edited:
I work for an airline and we go on test flights after heavy maintenance has been performed. These planes have no weight and minimal fuel and when you get a frisky pilot it can be quite a ride.

The most fun I've had was on a B-757 that was tested. These planes have two 37,000 lbs engines on them and they perform very well. I spent my shift flying around Atlanta with a pilot that was reliving his old Navy days.

The 787 has much newer engines although not necessarily more powerful than the ones they replace. I guess they're in the 60,000 lb. range similar to a CF6,PW4000,RB211 model. In fact, it's either GE or Roll-Royce that make these engines now. They're more efficient and quieter than the old models.

I just hope they finally got the lithium-ion battery issue resolved. I think they changed the charge rate and put them in a fire proof box with no oxygen to prevent fire.

No such thing as a fire proof box with no oxygen on these. It was never the batteries that were the problem, it was the charging unit that didn't shut off when supposed to causing batteries to go Chernobyl. Also pressurized altitude is around 8000. Capable of non-stop from Say Charleston, SC to Ethiopia following normal northern route at 41000 feet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I can just see the grin on the pilots face. Yeahhaaaaa......

That was my first thought also....THAT takeoff was pilot fun, not passenger fun. Unless the passengers are all pilots.

Originally Posted By: expat

Exactly!

Efficiency it what sells the 787.

The 787 is a pretty Ballerina. Youtube has other 787 vids. It won't bump the 747 off the top of my dream plane list though.

Originally Posted By: expat

Exactly!

The Dreamliner is the most efficient airplane on the market today due to a combination of composite construction, new engines, and sub-systems management.

It also has improvements in passenger comfort, including more interior space, better lighting, larger windows, and lower cabin altitude (nominally 6,000 feet vs. the industry standard of 8,000 feet).

Sounds like the perfect plane for you...

The reason for the show routine? C'mon...it's to sell airplanes! The Dreamliner has impressive performance, the result of fly-by-wire controls and powerful engines. Of course Boeing is showing off...but that performance means that the airplane can be used on shorter runways, in more demanding environments, and can handle adverse conditions better...so it's a more useful airplane...those are selling points.

Powerful, agile, comfortable, and the most efficient airplane on the market...it's a great airplane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back