New Mobil 1 Racing 0W30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Garak ^^^^, you don't realize high ZDDP levels cause corrosive issues. Now you know. Cut the cattiness jr.

A formulated oil compensates for zddp. Adding zddp without compensating may accelerate corrosion however that's a non issue in a finished oil.
Wanna try that again?

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but some say zinc will react with aluminum in large quantities as an additive. I am assuming this would be a galvanic reaction? And if so, despite aluminum being lower on nobility, zinc is lower galvanically.

1galvanic-chart2.gif

Originally Posted By: ArtDart
Posted one on 5/31/12...it was a little disappointing...
Additive levels were not boosted that much, except moly,
and the TBN was low after 5k. Maybe the M1R has poor
TBN retention. I have another sample in the Blackstone
container, ready to send off. Will post results here.

It's a freakin' racing oil.

Hi AW, high FM, low tbn retention qualities and should be changed after each race.

Ok guys. I'll send in for a UOA.
Only have 1700mi on this fill, so
please be patient. Should be about
the first of June, or so.

What does the VOA of this mix look like?

If you didn't get a VOA before you poured it in you won't be able to determine anything meaningful from the UOA>

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Posted one on 5/31/12...it was a little disappointing...
Additive levels were not boosted that much, except moly,
and the TBN was low after 5k. Maybe the M1R has poor
TBN retention. I have another sample in the Blackstone
container, ready to send off. Will post results here.

It's a freakin' racing oil.

Hi AW, high FM, low tbn retention qualities and should be changed after each race.

EXACTLY!

I am shocked that it has ANY starting TBN at all, let alone ANY detergent agents in it.

Sent in VOA today with an 2 to 1 ratio as I plan on running 3 quarts 0w30 racing and 6,5 quarts 0w40 FS.

Will post VOA next week when I receive the results

Originally Posted By: stspinner

Sent in VOA today with an 2 to 1 ratio as I plan on running 3 quarts 0w30 racing and 6,5 quarts 0w40 FS.

Will post VOA next week when I receive the results

2 parts 0w40 FS 1 Part0w30 Racing !

That's...disappointing. Were the bottles old? It's the firs time I see a voa with such insolubles. Maybe somme additive clash (lol) ?

Originally Posted By: Popsy
That's...disappointing. Were the bottles old? It's the firs time I see a voa with such insolubles. Maybe somme additive clash (lol) ?

I agree the 0w40 was purchased a week before the test and is the new FS formula and the 0w30 Racing has the new label almost identical on the back as the 0w40 bottle. No date codes that I can fined on these 1 qt. bottles.

Both were shaken well before I pored 2 oz and 1 oz into the sample vial. The racing oil is just full of additives and smell way different then the 0w40 I assume its what is settling out.

Sometime I have my doubts about Blackstone as I was the Engineering Manager at a Mine for the last 6 years and sent in 200 oil samples a month and reviewed, for 300 pieces of equipment mostly Cat and Komatsu labs and the reports were much more consistent.

There is no way there could be water unless they contaminated the sample which does happen.

Bottom Line I'm going to run 7.5 qts 0w40FS and 2 qts. 0w30 Racing for the OCI and I will post the UOA.

Great oil, I'm still feeding off my 54qts I have in stash posted in the beginning of this thread, I toss in one qt with 4 qts of AFE 0w30 for a 5qt fill in my GM's.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Thax
I'll assume this isnt API SN certified. Perhaps too much Zinc and Phos lol

There's no way I'd run this on anything except a race vehicle. That's way too much zinc, to the point of being corrosive.

Agree, no purpose to this oil other then maybe a race engine. ... and honestly, that is all Mobile says it is for as well.
Better question to others would be, why use this oil in a street car or motorcycle?

I suppose some just will. They think "some" of something is "good" so "more" must be "better." I'd definitely hesitate to use a friction modified race oil in a shared sump motorcycle, not to mention the concerns already mentioned about using this as a PCMO.

I think this oil will be fine for street driven engines. The “track only” recommendation has to do with emissions. But honestly I think FS 0W40 would be better as an upgrade; it’s way cheaper. A lot of engines that call for a 30 weight oil in the US, will have 40 weight and A3 oil recommendations in Europe and in Japan. Like the Honda K20z3 engine here calls for the 30, but the Z4 engine in Europe calls for either 30 or 40. Internally both engines are identical.

a look ar Redline's racing oil will show holy moly ETC. i sometimes mix oils from the same manufacturer as well as not + wonder if i am helping or not. the more i read + see the pros noting how one additive can cancel another it seems better to buy a better $$$ oil from the getgo!!

Originally Posted by benjy
a look ar Redline's racing oil will show holy moly ETC. i sometimes mix oils from the same manufacturer as well as not + wonder if i am helping or not. the more i read + see the pros noting how one additive can cancel another it seems better to buy a better $$$ oil from the getgo!!

Is this holy moly a special kind? Blessed by Redline gods no less.

how did you post your voa from blackstone to the forum? i just got my voa of mobil 1 10w30 high mileage with zddp and moly added. i would like to post the results.

Andrew

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by benjy

Is this holy moly a special kind? Blessed by Redline gods no less.

Red Line's straight/single weight pure racing oils have insanely elevated levels of moly and ZDDP over their multi-weight 'street' oils.
wink.gif

I have a Nissan Titan and it's rec. oil weight is 5w30. Can I use this 0w30 in my truck and it not hurt anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back