Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been looking for bulk buys on oil. My cousin found this locally maybe, through searching on here, I didn't find much about this. I seen an LE oil, but not this one, the ESP. This would be used in mg 6.0 powerstroke.

Here is the link
http://m.pepboys.com/product/details/9607363/71/

How is this versus the normal TDT from Mobil1 or say Rotlla T6?

I can get this oil for about 17.99 a gallon. Its a huge savings, so why not? Im just looking for info on whether I should pull the trigger or not.

Yeah exactly, I need to make my decision today. I'll end up buying about 28 gallons, so I wanna make sure its going to be worth it.

I remember reading about the TBN being low, but maybe the formula has changed? I think it has..

I JUST about posted on here about ya !!
Decided to see if you would lend your knowledge..
smile.gif

Best of the best !

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
I remember reading about the TBN being low, but maybe the formula has changed? I think it has..

I don't think the formulation has changed and the ACEA specs have remained the same since it came out, and is significantly higher than the minimum required by CJ-4, thanks to ACEA E7. The lower TBN versions are the 0w-40 and 0w-30, which don't have the ACEA approvals.

The price you quoted would be acceptable for a conventional HDEO up here.
wink.gif
Realistically speaking, I get Delvac 1 at a decent price, cheaper than most of the States, but I can't beat that one.

So you think its a good price? I'm worried about the ESP part.. Someone said they removed certain additives to protect emission devices. But what about wear? I'd assume its a good oil, I'm hoping for something that's better than T6. I can't find much data on the oil in powerstrokes...

Last edited:
The "removal of additives" was a concern at the rollout of the CJ-4 products. That never panned out in the end. ESP simply means CJ-4. Delvac 1 products rated CJ-4 are called ESP (or LE in the 5w-30 variety). Delo products are called LE in the CJ-4 variant. If it isn't "ESP," then it would be CI-4+ or older. In Canada, Imperial Oil (our XOM), stopped selling the older stuff as soon as the old stock was sold out. If you were up here, you wouldn't have much of a choice but to get the ESP version. Note that CJ-4 is backwards compatible, and there's been no evidence in any way, shape, or form that it's "worse" than the lubes it replaced. ULSD has made things far easier on the oil.

Whether Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is "better" than T6 is really difficult to say. The Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 does have better base stocks, for whatever that's worth. The Rotella is Group III, whereas the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is predominantly Group IV. Rotella often has a price advantage and availability advantage, but that's clearly not the issue in your case. That price you have is fantastic.

Thanks man. I do UOAs and I will do some. I bought 28 gallons of it last night. I couldn't beat the 17.99 a gallon.

NattyBoh - I don't mean to sound disrespectful when I say this, but just last week several 6.0L owners advised you (in another thread on the first page of this sub-forum) their thoughts and feelings multiple times in regards to what they have seen to be the best oil for a 6.0L... a 30-weight. I'm not sure if you just don't trust us (and the updated manufacturer recommendations), want to hear a different answer, or are trying to over-analyze every aspect of oil for your truck... but I can't imagine the recommendations changing.

Delvac 1 5w40 is a fantastic oil for some applications, and at $16.99/gal it's a great buy, but in your 6.0L it will exhibit the same tendencies of all the other 40-weights. SHEARING. You will get nowhere near maximum return-on-investment with it... your local climate is well within the 30-weight spec recommendation by the HEUI manufacturers... and based on RoadRunner's extensive UOA history, I could even make the argument you won't be getting the best protection either. If you want to run a full synthetic, Delo 5w30 is a well priced option. Delvec 1 LE 5w30 is another option, but may be more expensive.

Again... I'm not trying to hound on you, but last week you wanted to run 15w40... now you want to run 5w40....... are we missing something?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how the primarily PAO Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 will fare with respect to shearing. In any event, that price is hard to beat, shearing or not. With respect to Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, it's hard to say what the price is south of the border unless one checks. Here, it's a few cents a litre cheaper than the 5w-40, for whatever reason.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
NattyBoh - I don't mean to sound disrespectful when I say this, but just last week several 6.0L owners advised you (in another thread on the first page of this sub-forum) their thoughts and feelings multiple times in regards to what they have seen to be the best oil for a 6.0L... a 30-weight. I'm not sure if you just don't trust us (and the updated manufacturer recommendations), want to hear a different answer, or are trying to over-analyze every aspect of oil for your truck... but I can't imagine the recommendations changing.

Delvac 1 5w40 is a fantastic oil for some applications, and at $16.99/gal it's a great buy, but in your 6.0L it will exhibit the same tendencies of all the other 40-weights. SHEARING. You will get nowhere near maximum return-on-investment with it... your local climate is well within the 30-weight spec recommendation by the HEUI manufacturers... and based on RoadRunner's extensive UOA history, I could even make the argument you won't be getting the best protection either. If you want to run a full synthetic, Delo 5w30 is a well priced option. Delvec 1 LE 5w30 is another option, but may be more expensive.

Again... I'm not trying to hound on you, but last week you wanted to run 15w40... now you want to run 5w40....... are we missing something?

Hey man,
I do remember that, but I seen it with my own truck... I was running 10w30 as per RoadRunner's suggestions about a year or so ago, and I noticed LOWER ICP pressure. Yeah... Hard ot believe, but weight is weight and that ICP did lower a bit when I was running 10w30. So that was my reasoning for running the 5w40. I understand it shears, thats old news. I have my own personal UOAs to see that, but when I seen the ICP lower slightly, that was my go a head to run 5w40.

Yeah, I do appreciate it no doubt. Thats why I was thinking about running 15w40. Then I came across this deal... I couldnt pass it up. When I bought my JD plus 50 II, it was almost $17 a gallon. PLus I had to drive over an hour to get it. So I bought 16 gallons. Luckily I was able to unload it for what I paid for it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
With respect to Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, it's hard to say what the price is south of the border unless one checks. Here, it's a few cents a litre cheaper than the 5w-40, for whatever reason.

I paid $38/gal for Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 at a truckstop ; when I worked at the CAT dealer I obtained a wholesale quote, 4 gallon minimum order, wasn't much less in cost.

Is Delvac 1 LE mostly a PAO base? I'd hope so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back