I really miss the true Full sized cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the automakers seem to build anymore is big SUV's and 4 door trucks with a open trunk anymore. What was so bad about the big cars that could seat 6 passengers, ride on a cloud, handle good, and better fuel economy than most newer large vehicles. My Dad's 73 Mercury Gran Marquis, was so much better that most of what they are building now. Trucks have a purpose, but they are not better than the "land yachts" of years ago, that faded away into Pintos, and never came back. Can't imagine a new version of something like a 55 Chevy Belair.

Couldn't agree more.

There's only one car like that any more (Tesla Model S with the optional rear-facing seats), and it's by far the best car in its segment. But it's also hugely expensive and the extra seats can only accommodate people under 5 ft. tall.

Superflous ride height has ruined quite a lot in the auto market IMO.

People want everything to be "sporty" and "fast", you're not going to get that in a car with a compliant ride with 2 bench seats.

I acquired a 99 Grand Marquis and I really don't appreciate the floaty ride after driving my Mazda. I'm like, why isn't this car going where I'm steering it?

Nothing is broken, it just doesn't handle like the Mazda.

Couple years ago, I drove a 72 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon. It drove/rode and handled so much better than my Silverado. Could haul 9 passengers, or 4 x 8 sheets, 5000 lb+ trailer, and using the same amount of fuel with a 455 engine. So much for progress. Just bring on the stability control, etc. Weird, I never saw those "old" rear wheel drive vehicles upside down in the ditch, like you see daily now.

Last edited:
Too many of todays vehicles have traded away a good ride to have superior handling. Today we have trucks that pull more g's on a skidpad that my 1973 911.

I would like to find a car that has a smooth ride over bad roads not grocery getting mid size cars that out handle race cars of a few decades ago.

Part of it is pedestrian safety. We have to have high hoods so they don't get clobbered somehow. This also leads to big tires & wheels to fill fenders so they don't look goofy. Then you might as well have a proportional windscreen and a seat to see over the wheel.

Originally Posted By: Traction
What was so bad about the big cars that could seat 6 passengers, ride on a cloud, handle good, and better fuel economy than most newer large vehicles.

They are gone, probably forever.

For that you can thank CAFE, emissions, and safety regulations, which for the longest time were constructed to be looser and less-expensive for vehicles classed as "trucks". The perverse incentive was for automakers to game the regulations by shifting production from "cars" to "trucks". Your Tax Dollars at Work.

You can buy an older full size cruiser. Fix it up. Parts are cheap and available, everywhere. They're easy to work on. If it's more than just a wish it's easy to make it come true.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Traction
What was so bad about the big cars that could seat 6 passengers, ride on a cloud, handle good, and better fuel economy than most newer large vehicles.

They are gone, probably forever.

For that you can thank CAFE, emissions, and safety regulations, which for the longest time were constructed to be looser and less-expensive for vehicles classed as "trucks". The perverse incentive was for automakers to game the regulations by shifting production from "cars" to "trucks". Your Tax Dollars at Work.

Yes having clean air to breathe and the best safety record for miles traveled is such a horrible thing
33.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You can buy an older full size cruiser. Fix it up. Parts are cheap and available, everywhere. They're easy to work on. If it's more than just a wish it's easy to make it come true.

Very true. Lots of low mileage grannymobiles still out there hidden in garages. I drove my 1983 Olds 88 for seventeen years, until I convinced myself I needed fuel injection and antilock brakes. Wish I had that beast back.

I own 1970 Buick Electra (or is it Elantra ?) for few years. The steering was so slow to my input, I turned the steering wheel and the car didn't do anything for 1-2 seconds.

The ride is soft in city, but floating on uneven highway surface.

No, I don't miss the land-yacht.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I bet you could find a ~1996 Buick Roadmaster with few miles.

Sounds like a good idea. I should do that some time.

Oh wait.......\/

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Not really. In this area, they have mostly rotted to powder!

I really miss my 1965 GTO! That car had this kind of personality, geterdun!.. Effortless performance. Doesn't matter that I have a little turbo 4 cylinder that will blow the doors off the goat. It's not the same. Of course I'm 50 years older, I'm not the same either......

We had a 1964 1/2 Chrysler Imperial Crown. 413c.i. & still accelerated at 120 MPH.
shocked2.gif

Does anyone remember those?? Talk about a Yacht, OMG!!

I completely agree! I had three Crown Victoria's before I turned 20, and now I have my Taurus. My friends don't understand. I like having room for everyone, their stuff and a comfortable ride. I miss V8 rear wheel drive, but the Taurus does big and comfortable pretty well.

I daily drive a low mile 1994 Lincoln Town Car. NOT a classic by any means, but a yacht for sure. I have no desire to replace it anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back