sks or cheap cheap ar 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught the itch again.....

I would like a semi auto military style rifle. No real use other than it being fun.
What I have found is a Chicom SKS with a cracked stock at jg sales for $280 or so. I'd tapco it out and keep the 10 rd fixed.

Or I can get a plastic lower for $150, a ptac or PSA upper for $180 and a charging handle/ BC for $100 or so.

I know that the ar build would be cheapest of the cheap, but all of the reviews I have read say the components individually work well. And it would be a light rifle.

I like soviet stuff, both of my mosins are rock solid, but the fun of the ar platform is in the build.

What would you do and why?

I would get the AR. Why ? it's the better modern gun
smile.gif

Last edited:
Currently build an ar 15, looks of extra costs and parts needed. Get the nicest SKS you can afford and the cheapest one you can find to shoot. They aren't coming to be around forever. I got my lower from these guys, [ MS AutoArms , they run specials extra. I got my mag tech lower for 65. Join their mailing list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tezzzas
Currently build an ar 15, looks of extra costs and parts needed. Get the nicest SKS you can afford and the cheapest one you can find to shoot. They aren't coming to be around forever. I got my lower from these guys, [ MS AutoArms , they run specials extra. I got my mag tech lower for 65. Join their mailing list.

Holy [censored], was I was drunk typing this. My dyslexia was strong on the one. I am currently building an AR 15, there are a lot of extra costs and parts needed, to complete it. Get the nicest SKS you can afford and the cheapest one you can find to shoot. I got my lower from these guys, [ MS AutoArms , they run specials. I got my mag tech lower for 65. Join their mailing list.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
I caught the itch again.....

I would like a semi auto military style rifle. No real use other than it being fun.
What I have found is a Chicom SKS with a cracked stock at jg sales for $280 or so. I'd tapco it out and keep the 10 rd fixed.

Or I can get a plastic lower for $150, a ptac or PSA upper for $180 and a charging handle/ BC for $100 or so.

I know that the ar build would be cheapest of the cheap, but all of the reviews I have read say the components individually work well. And it would be a light rifle.

I like soviet stuff, both of my mosins are rock solid, but the fun of the ar platform is in the build.

What would you do and why?

If you like Soviet stuff, is there any reason you haven't mentioned an AK of some type? They can be had in new condition for under $500.00. They're rugged as any rifle can possibly be. And ammunition isn't that expensive, and magazines are plentiful and cheap. They can be tricked out as much as any AR, and are a blast to shoot. The AK-47 has become one of my favorite rifles. And it wasn't that long ago I was one of those guys that..... "Wouldn't own such a cheap piece of commie garbage!" Then I got a little wiser. Now I own a dozen of them.

Most of the SKS guns coming in now are beat to ever loving hades. I would get the AR15, but get an aluminum lower. Or as someone mentioned you can get a decent AK as well.

I had a Yugo SKS and a Chinese SKS. I only really wish I still had the yugo.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I would get one of each! A Yugoslav SKS is one of the best variants of the SKS family.

My only gripe is the lack of a chrome lined barrel.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I would get one of each! A Yugoslav SKS is one of the best variants of the SKS family.

My only gripe is the lack of a chrome lined barrel.
Yes, that is true, also true with their M70AB if I'm not mistaken.

Yugoslavia, being independent from the Warsaw pact and having a weird relationship with the USSR was unable to secure the materials to chrome plate their weapons.

I just finished building my AR/M4 flatop from PSA. I waited several months for sale prices. Now is a good time due to Father's day sales. I got the whole thing together and sighted in and I am completely satisfied with this rifle and the best part is that I know it inside out. It is also very accurate.

I highly recommend building your own.

Holy [censored], was I was drunk typing this. My dyslexia was strong on the one. I am currently building an AR 15, there are a lot of extra costs and parts needed, to complete it. Get the nicest SKS you can afford and the cheapest one you can find to shoot. I got my lower from these guys, [ MS AutoArms , they run specials. I got my mag tech lower for 65. Join their mailing list.

LOL...looks like whiskeylexia to me.....
crackmeup2.gif

I guess, while I don't mind the aks with a folding stock, front rails, and black plastic furniture, the standard ask just does not do it for me. I could build one but even then it seems that that's north of $500 anyway, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

I guess I kind of see the Garand in the sks ...

An as is an ar, I'd still probably stick with the plastic lower to keep costs down and salvage parts from it when I build up an aloy lower... if i was to go that route

PSA has blemished lowers for like $40. How is a plastic one going to save money? If money is that tight just save up for another couple months. Or buy parts over a period of time.

You can get alloy lowers for well 100 bucks, and they dont bust like the polymer ones do. I have seen blemished alloy lowers for around 50 bucks at times.

The Garand is nothing like the SKS really. It is much closer to an FN49 or even an FAL in function.

I know that the Garand in operation is not like the SKS, I was more seeing the outline, semi auto rifle with a smaller internal mag.

And I've had hands on some complete polymer lowers, buddy has one with 5k or so through one. I'm not going to buttstroke someone with it, but for general plinking it does just fine. I figure I can run it until I want another project, and start building an alloy with parts saved/ scrounged from the poly lower. Plus it keeps a price point and works as a stepping stone

+1 for the AR

Buy the lower locally for $40-$60
Shop around for the rest of the parts online.
Everything can be shipped to your door but that lower.

All the decent SKS have been bought up, the ones that are leftover are overpriced.
And a SKS trigger will always be terrible.
With a good SKS you may be able to hit something at 100 yards on a good day over bags.
With a AR you have options for your options.
An AR is pretty much Barbies for grown men, accessories galore.

An SKS is... Well... Disappointing these days.

I lucked out and got a Norinco sporter that takes AK mags back in the day. Those Norinco guns had different trigger arrangement and superior parts compared to your Romanian SKS.

The plain blem lower is $129 when it comes back in stock.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14434/

Don't buy a polymer lower to save $10-$20. They are not as durable and not as safe. Shoot an overpressure round and the aluminum lowers protect your hands and face. The polymer ones blow up and tear your face/hands up. The $10-20 difference is well worth the price, considering the safety factor and the fact that an aluminum lower will last your life time. Buy once, cry once.

The SKS is a cool blaster. I love my like new 1953 Russian Tula example. I would probably still go AR-15 though. Really neat, customizable platform. Also works great as possibly the best home defense gun you can have with a 30 rd magazine and flashlight mounted to it.

Right now their is only a difference of $120 between their lowest priced complete PTAC upper and a CHF chrome hammer forged FN barreled upper. Instead of buying cheap now and upgrading later, just buy the FN CHF upper now and than you don't have to worry about upgrading later. Buy once, cry once.

Complete PTAC upper $259
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...bcg-and-ch.html

Complete CHF upper $379
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...ing-handle.html

Complete CHF upper $379 ultra light weight barrel (very high demand barrel)
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...ing-handle.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back