3500 P/U w/o duallies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payload and towing capacity ratings are a range. One 3500 will not be the same as another.

The rough class designations of "1/2 ton," "3/4 ton," and "1 ton" are from another era in cars/trucks, and even then were just rough approximations.

Part of dual tires is stability and safety. If a tire blows out you have the second tire there and gives you a chance to control the load. Also a single tire can have the same load rating depending on construction vs a dual tire set up. In fact some or maybe even most tires list a lower weigh spec when used in a dual set up vs single. Its the frame brakes and hitch that also set the legal load cap not just the tires. Though tires is where it all meets the road

I had a dually before. When hauling with the 5th wheel, it felt rock solid, but was a pain to drive otherwise. Not knocking duallies at all. I just didn't happen to like it much. Just too wide on a truck already very long for my taste.

Payload is based (by the mfr.) on frame strength & powertrain capacity. A dually has higher curb weight, so it technically has lower payload capacity than an otherwise equally equipped SRW pickup. BUT-there is FAR higher rear GAWR rating on a dually-for instance, my F-450's rear tires are rated 2805 lbs. each when used as duals, or 11,220 total GAWR. The same tires (if I used them) on my SRW GMC are 3042 each, or 6084 lbs total. Guess where (almost) all of the weight in a pickup goes?

The 1 ton SRW trucks usually have a bit higher payload / GVWR than the 3/4 ton trucks. But they're not rated as high as the 1 ton DRW trucks as the rear axle can't carry as much weight (limited by the tires). It fills the need of someone who needs a little more than a 3/4 ton can comfortably do (1 tons usually have much stiffer rear springs) but doesn't quite need a dually (they're more of a pain to maneuver and usually not worth it if you don't actually need one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back