hyundai catalytic converter bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an intermittant cel on the 2013 elantra, dealer could not find or pull the code without it being lit. Finally it stayed on enough for me to get it to the dealer. According to them The catalytic converter is bad and is ordered and will be replaced under warranty. The car did have cel a year ago requiring the upstream o2 sensor to be replaced under warranty. The car was driven very little with the 02 sensor triggering a cel. I'm just surprised that the cat is bad at only 36k. I have never had a car with a bad cat even at almost 200k miles. Could the limited time the original 02 sensor was bad, kill a cat that quick?
At least its all under warranty.

i would demand another upstream/downstream sensor too. but thats just me.

It might not even be the CC. It could be the downstream sensor. The system just isn't seeing the proper O2 content delta between the two sensors. Hopefully they put an OEM CC on it, but I think they might be required to do so.

Originally Posted By: JTK
It might not even be the CC. It could be the downstream sensor. The system just isn't seeing the proper O2 content delta between the two sensors. Hopefully they put an OEM CC on it, but I think they might be required to do so.

Sensor post cat monitors the catalytic convertor. It has no input as far as fuel trims are concerned.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I thinking the dealer would have suspected this before ordering an expensive cat, i imagine its $600-$800 bucks oem.

I work in service at a Hyundai dealer. I am at work right now
laugh.gif
. If the code is p2096-post catalyst system too lean, then there is an available ecm update per TSB 14-FL-006. If the update does not resolve the concern, replacement of the downstream O2 is necessary.
I have never replaced a catalytic converter on the UD Elantra, but anything is possible I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Sensor post cat monitors the catalytic convertor. It has no input as far as fuel trims are concerned.

I don't recall saying it did. The downstream sensor needs to see less O2 in the exhaust stream than the upstream to keep the light off. That's how it "monitors" the CC.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

I agree. That said, emissions warranties I believe are quite long. But I agree its best practice.

Its really no surprise this happened. If I were OP, Id probably rest easy knowing that the bad upstream probably killed the cat and other than some miles of poor operating, there isn't much to it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

I agree. That said, emissions warranties I believe are quite long. But I agree its best practice.

Its really no surprise this happened. If I were OP, Id probably rest easy knowing that the bad upstream probably killed the cat and other than some miles of poor operating, there isn't much to it.

Thanks i agree that the bad inital 02 sensor probably wrecked the cat. I'm just surprised, as the car was driven very little with the bad 02 sensor. As soon as it threw the code, i was in the dealer a day later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back