Putting down dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are animal lovers. At one point we had 5 dogs and 2 cats. We still have 2 cats, but we've had to put down 3 of our dogs over the last several years. One we had to put down just this past April, and now we just found out that one of our two remaining dogs has terminal colon cancer. The vet said he has weeks, to maybe a month to live. Having to put down two of our beloved family members this close together has been incredibly hard on both of us. My wife says that once all of the dogs are gone, she doesn't want any more because she can't deal with this end of it. It's hard on me too, but I think it would be harder not having any dogs. We've had a dog, or multiple dogs in our family continuously since 1995 and I don't know if I can stand not having any. Have any of you dealt with a similar situation, and if so, how did you deal with it?

We've had dogs our entire married life (45 years) and before that both my wife and I grew up with dogs in the family. Unfortunately they don't have the lifespan that we do; at some point every dog owner will have to face the decision of when it's time to let them go. Sometimes it's due to an accident or illness, in other cases it's a deteriorated quality of life due to old age. It's a responsibility that we take on when we choose to have a dog as a companion in our lives and it's a responsibility that we should handle with class and dignity.

How we handle death is at least as important as how we handle life. It's bittersweet-we know that their suffering is over in a humane way, but we have also lost a dedicated companion and family member. We just have to understand that it's part of the natural cycle of life, and while one is now gone, there is another out there who would love nothing more than to become a part of your family and offer you the love and companionship that only a dog can give.

I`m sorry for your losses. Folks that don't understand will never understand how difficult it is in losing a friend.

Good reply Pop_Rivet.

Last edited:
I did it twice and it was horrible. My last dog died 7 years ago, and it still hurts! The look he had on his last day told it all, we knew he was ready. As much as my wife and I love dogs we probably will never get another dog. If I want to play with a dog now I go 4 blocks to my niece, she has three of them.

Now hopping into the car and going away for a weekend, a week, or even a month is very easy.

It is so tough, isn't it? They really do become family members.

We had a pure bred AKC German Shepherd. Kaiser was his name. At age 13 he developed degenerative mylopathy of the spine nerves. It is where the mylum that sheaths the nerve fibers like an insulator on an electric wire, starts to oxidize. That is how I remember the veterinarian explaining. It starts at the base of the spine and effects their tail first, then advances upward. Kaiser eventually started losing the use of this hind legs. The nerves start to short circuit or something. We tried some meds that didn't help. I took him to his last trip to the vet on Dec 17, 2003. It about killed me. He was the most loyal dog you could imagine. I know he knew what was going down that day. No doubt he sensed my emotions. He was actually the stronger one in the final moments on the exam table. He looked up at me with a look I can only describe as a re-assuring gaze that said, "It's okay dad, you guys made my life awesome, I love you all....it's okay..." GD it, I'm tearing up trying to write this about old Kaiser. I have to share a pic:

DSCN6687_zps0cyomuj8.jpg

LoneRanger I know the feeling. I had to post one of my favorites of him. I'm a little teary eyed myself.

Rocky loved Christmas!

We have had many cats and several dogs over the past forty some years and it's always hard to give them up. Fortunately for them, they don't have to suffer through horrible end stage illness and disease like humans. They will be waiting for us when we die, and together, we will all cross the rainbow bridge and enjoy each others' companionship forever without the vicissitudes of "life's pelting storm."

We have 5 dogs and a cat, all are in their senior years. The thought of losing them has been on our minds for some time. Our oldest dog has leukemia, and our Berner has had cancer twice. I think one of the injustices of life is the short life span of most pets, but the gift of their devotion and love is well worth the pain of losing them so early. Our dogs and cats have been rescues, so some solace can be derived from knowing at least some would not have had a life at all if not adopted from a shelter or rescue. We well always have pets.

So this is where we part, My Friend,
and you'll run on, around the bend,
gone from sight, but not from mind,
new pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on, I'll find the strength,
life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
but they be they, and they aren't you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your final rest,
take with you this...I loved you best.

cpyright 2002 Jim Willis

You're the 3rd person who has brought this up this week.
I had to put down my Black Lab "Missy", a rescue, and a member of our family Saturday June 6th.
She was either 13 or 14, we had her for the past 6 years.

Sunday June 7th was my Wife and I's 7 year wedding anniversary. I had been pushing Missy to make it, feeding her anything she wanted, just to try to get her through the weekend.
On Friday she stopped eating, on Saturday she wouldn't touch a barbecue pork chop. I didn't want it to be the day, but I had that feeling.

It's hard. Very hard.
Every time I let her brother out to go potty I look for her.

Her brother, who could not be separated from her at the no-kill shelter, has taken it well.
I have been told that they have a better 6th sense for these things. I didn't understand until I experienced it myself.

Dealing with the death of a loved one is a tough lesson, unfortunately it is a necessary lesson.
I regret to inform you that nobody is getting out of this alive.

My dogs have had a pretty sweet life.
They were loved by a woman who passed of cancer, her kids gave them to a no-kill shelter.
My wife and I got them from the no-kill shelter, fully trained and well mannered.(Buster is snoring behind me right now.)
They have been wonderful dogs, and we have given them a happy home.

Not many dogs get their own room. It just so happens that we had an extra room when we moved into our house and it became theirs.

It is a hard lesson.
My heart goes out to you.

I find it interesting that some people who have had near death experiences, relate seeing past pets again. Whether this real or a function of our brains , it gives some comfort. I tend to think its real.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I did it twice and it was horrible. My last dog died 7 years ago, and it still hurts! The look he had on his last day told it all, we knew he was ready. As much as my wife and I love dogs we probably will never get another dog. If I want to play with a dog now I go 4 blocks to my niece, she has three of them.

Now hopping into the car and going away for a weekend, a week, or even a month is very easy.

Now that I'm getting close to retirement, I would like to do some traveling once I do retire. That may be the only thing that keeps me from getting another dog. I know there are ways to travel with a dog, but it severely limits your lodging options. However, knowing my love for these animals, even that may not be enough to keep me from getting another...I don't know how I'm going to deal with my wife not wanting any more...that may change for her too once we've been without for a while...she dearly loves animals too...

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I find it interesting that some people who have had near death experiences, relate seeing past pets again. Whether this real or a function of our brains , it gives some comfort. I tend to think its real.

I do too, and can you imagine the joy of being with all of your loved ones (including your dogs) after we pass?

I've had to say goodbye to more than a few cats, definite personalities and friends all.

Arizona, the big red Maine Coon mix who showed his courage by growling at the vet as she started to administer his last injection;

Oreo the tuxedo cat, who purred with my hands on her as she went into the Long Sleep;

Marie the smart, Tatiana the clever, and Angelique the affection-seeking psycho, who each passed on while I was sleeping myself, so I couldn't say goodbye.

I have two more now, ages 8 and 6, so with luck we'll have some more good years together.

Grampi, I've dealt with my losses by remembering them as they were, and not whitewashing them or imagining them to be saints or perfect creatures. Each of my cats could be very annoying or troublesome. But I took that (and take the quirks of the current feline thugs) as part of the deal, just as we should with our human friends. I imagine Arizona will march up to me at the Rainbow Bridge and demand his dinner, that Marie-Antoinette has intrigued in Cat Heaven to get herself crowned the Queen of All Cats, and so forth.

I miss them all still, and refuse to expect the current monsters to be like them; they were all originals.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Now that I'm getting close to retirement, I would like to do some traveling once I do retire. That may be the only thing that keeps me from getting another dog. I know there are ways to travel with a dog, but it severely limits your lodging options. However, knowing my love for these animals, even that may not be enough to keep me from getting another...I don't know how I'm going to deal with my wife not wanting any more...that may change for her too once we've been without for a while...she dearly loves animals too...

We talk about it a lot, but don't have the heart to kennel a dog. My niece with the three dogs would watch him, and took great care of him in our house. That was before she had three dogs and an 18 month old daughter. So asking her is no longer an option.

We travel a lot by air which is very expensive if you take a large dog, and it is very hard on them. My son flew two of his dogs from WA state to NY for us to watch them during one of his Military assignments. The dogs were STRESSED TO THE MAX when we went to JFK to get them. When we flew them back to him, it as horrible and STRESSFUL.

I don't like to say never, but as it stands now no more dogs. We were sick for weeks when we put Rocky down. It is a pain we'll never forget.

I am pro-euthanasia but I do not imagine myself making those decisions. We have had many cats who grew old and left home to not return again.

But despite the loss being hard on us, I do not think I would isolate myself from the companionship simply because it is going to end one day. If I thought like that, I would isolate from people I love as well because I know they will pass on at some point.

I will grieve and keep their memory in me.

My post may sound strange but I do not see my non-human friends/family members any differently than human ones. One of the fondest memories I have is about a gerbil, actually.

I always had dogs but not anymore because it was hard putting them down. Get a parrot or tortoise, they live long enough to put you down.

Very emotional stories in this thread. We had to euthanize our 14 year old dog 6 months ago. My three and a half year old daughter still asks when is Billy coming from the doctor.

I will give the same advice i give to people.

There were many days in this persons life, the day they died is but one day. There are too many important days , memories , fun times to remember. Remember the fun, the moments , the time spent together. Today is a day to forget ( the day they passed). They would not want you to dwell on one day of their lives, there are too many other ones that are important. Remember those days and dwell on those, do not dwell on the day they died.

I said something similar to this at my grandmothers funeral.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
I always had dogs but not anymore because it was hard putting them down. Get a parrot or tortoise, they live long enough to put you down.

I like how dogs are so excited to see you when you come home that they can barely control themselves (some can't control themselves)...you're not gonna get that from a tortoise or a parrot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back