2 cycle oils, synthetic, castor, flash points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With other words...for street use....you dont need racing oil....any decent sae40 synthetic will be just fine! (look omv 2t-s PDF for comparison).

I am telling that to you from my expiriences....when I was younger...we drove with mofas more often (me&my friends)....and we had same expiriences
with castrol TTS....superb oil for the engine...but at street use with non tuned or mild tuned mofas we had to clean our mufflers every season

This isn't just a standard scooter. It is running a Polini Corsa Big Bore Kit, ported cylinder along with ported intake, larger manflifold and carb, tuned with expansion chamber pipe, high speed gear setup and CVT tunning. Runs 9-11.5k rpm, speeds in the low 70's. It's a pretty tuned out scooter. And although its not being raced on a track, other similar setups generally do much better with racing type oils over standard general use 2t oils. I'm pretty much sold on the Motul to replace the Maxima 927, but I'm just trying to understand better the differences between the on and off road formula and how they translate to my application and which of the two would be a better fit.

Also, since you seem pretty familiar with this stuff, have you had any experience with the Motul Transoil Expert 10w40? I was looking to switch over from the Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil which I was using in the final drive gear assembly. I'd like to switch to something more gear based than the motorcycle engine oil/gear oil from Amsoil. I've read pretty positive reviews about this stuff and it seems like a really good fit. The final drive doesn't use any sort of clutches or anything so that isn't really an issue.

i dont recommend a castor based oil as prolonged use can cause ring sticking but it does have a excellent film strength
best to stick with a ester based oil.

I have transoil 10w40 on the shelf.....I intend to use it at next gearbox oil change in my Tomos youngster racing
smile.gif
It will replace ATF A wich I am using rigt now. Noting special obout this mofa...low power....low reving.....in my second moped (scooter)I am using standard gearbox oil....It is just my personal decision nothing else (75w90 GL4/5)....because It revs faster and it goes faster. Probably transoil will be as good enough.

I also possess Gilera Runner SP 50cc.....Its pretty standard except for Dell Orto PHVA 17,5mm carb instead of standard 12mm. And I opened its muffer a little bit....I bought bigger hose between cylinder and expansion chamber....

And this thing revs pretty close to 12k despite it is almost standard scooter. And it has 24.000 kilometers on the counter.....yes soon I will have to do "small rebuild". Piston rings are pretty worn out....and I will also buy new piston & upper bearing.

So you bought standard 70ccm cylinder (Sport version) and tuned it a little bit towards racing version
smile.gif
Any decent sythetic will be ok.

Pics:

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/gilera_runner_50_sp_96635418327799371.jpg
http://www.scooter-infos.com/image_cache...20Funtastic.jpg

an interesting sidebar...

I had a 2-stroke Genuine Stella shifty scooter for a few months...one of the EPA bullcrap manuevers was that a small catalytic convertor was installed in the exhaust pipe before the muffler; the shop I traded it to removed the exhause pipe/muffler assembly and threw it into a bonfire to burn the residual 2T oil that got caught in the catalytic convertor...there was a noticable difference in the intensity of the fire until the oil/gas burned off! they then metal brushed off the rust and old paint, repainted it with hi-temp silver paint, and reinstalled the exhaust system...

makes me wonder what the [censored] the flashpoints are of some of the mineral vs synthetic 2T oils on the market...I ran both BelRay mineral 2T when the machine was new and switched over to Catrol synblend 2T oil after breaking in the scooter

Either the Motul 800 with high flash point or the Castor 927 also with high flash point is what you want in a air cooled motor. Interceptor is great for a low temp liquid cooled trail ridden non WOT type bike. Dominator without rust inhibitors is specifically aimed to those who replace a crank and crank bearings every season (racing). For those who don't they get to enjoy rusty internals.

The Maxima Castor 927 is a blend that includes castor oils but other oils too. It's actually quite clean compared to most anyone's reference point to castor oil from the 1970s. Are you using 927 now and it's leaving oil residue on the end of your silencer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back