Seam Sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to repair some rust on my 16 year old Avalon. It is showing at the bottom edge of the rear passenger door under the seam sealer where the outside metal rolls up on the inside. What is the best seam sealer to use after I apply primer and paint? Should I use an automotive seam sealer or would polyurethane caulk be better? Thanks.

I'd stick with seam sealer. It's the right tool for the job. You might want to put some Fluid Film in that panel too after the paint has cured well.

I recently glued and welded a 1990 Jeep Cherokee back together. We used some sort of industrial 3m glue for the thing.

Fun fact: From the factory it was pretty much glued together ...

Considering it's a 16 yo vehicle; (mine is 12 yo)
Get all the rust off of exterior painted surface (both sides of door).
Prime and Paint
Paste Wax

Then, spray Fluid Film inside the door.
One Aerosol Can would do between 2-4 doors / will stay in doors for years.
Either thru the door drains & vent or remove inside panel.
The Fluid Film will creep into every crack & crevis.

I do this to my vehicle and the Fluid Film is always creeping up the door
and needing to be wiped off / same with Tailgate.

Fluid Film can be bought on E-Bay in Aerosol or Gallon Can.
It has many uses, but excels in undercoating.

I've had great success fighting rust using Eastwood's Heavy Duty Anti-Rust. The product seems to resist wash out very well. I sprayed the axle CV joints on my 04 Camry shortly after I purchased it and it's still there.Also applied it to the heat shield fasteners and no rust has occurred in those trouble prone areas.

That's a tough spot under the door where the door skin crimps around to the body of the door. Best you can do is slow it down. You're on the right plan cleaning it up and coating it with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back