Just picked up a 2006 Honda Elite 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked this thing up yesterday morning from an older gentleman who used it to ride his kids around the subdivision where he lived. He got it out on the main road once, got it up to 40-mph, said it was too fast and took it back home.

It's a 2006 model (last production year was 2007), and when I purchased it the ODO read exactly 700.1 miles. (on a 2006!!!!!)
Silly thing isn't even broke in and has never been over 40-mph. Looking at his other toys and equipment, I have no reason to doubt what he said.

Got it home, new gel-cell battery went in, M1 0w-40 & a shot of Moly, MMO in the (fresh) gas, and M1 Synthetic 75w-90 gear oil in the final drive. Should be good to go for quite a while.

Was a little sluggish when first brought home, but after fluid-changes and a good 60 miles (actually 2-runs totaling 60 miles) - it really opened up and is performing exactly as it should. Seems to be getting 75-80 mpg already (county highway cruising), so not bad.
smile.gif

elite_80.jpg

P.S. - now when I get a call to come by and give a free estimate for lawn care, I can drive by the day before (incognito) and see if it's worth even stopping to look at. lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Just picked this thing up yesterday morning from an older gentleman who used it to ride his kids around the subdivision where he lived. He got it out on the main road once, got it up to 40-mph, said it was too fast and took it back home.

I'm with the previous owner, any speed above 30 MPH on 2 wheels is too fast, 20-25 MPH is okay.

Regardless of how much tread the tires have, they are old and don't have anywhere near the grip or casing integrity of new tires. I would strongly suggest replacing the tires asap.

i like it but i cant believe its age. I would have said it was from the 80's. Its got that look with the rubber bumpers and such.

The belt is almost 10 years old. It wouldn't hurt to take the CVT cover off sometime in the next year or so and inspect it. They can dry rot over time if they haven't been used much. Usually a Honda scooter belt (Bando) is good for 6-8k miles. I usually change mine every 4k.

After you get rid of this MMO in the gas tank, I'd run some Gumout Regane through it. I've had good luck with this stuff keeping my scooter carbs clean.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
i like it but i cant believe its age. I would have said it was from the 80's. Its got that look with the rubber bumpers and such.

Yeah - they made them from '85 to '07 (i believe), anyway a 23-year run with virtually no changes. If it works, don't fix it. Certain Auto Makers could learn a lesson from Honda.

I have driven this exact scooter in my college town and loved it. I wouldn't want it out on main or major roads but it sure is fun in a quick-trip, smaller environment.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Regardless of how much tread the tires have, they are old and don't have anywhere near the grip or casing integrity of new tires. I would strongly suggest replacing the tires asap.

On the list.
thumbsup2.gif

Been looking at the Continental Zippy's. Great reviews, and seem to last quite a while. This thing was garage-kept (heated), and no dry rot on the tires at all. Some wear, especially on the back, but proportionate to the type of driving he did with it.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
The belt is almost 10 years old. It wouldn't hurt to take the CVT cover off sometime in the next year or so and inspect it. They can dry rot over time if they haven't been used much. Usually a Honda scooter belt (Bando) is good for 6-8k miles. I usually change mine every 4k.

After you get rid of this MMO in the gas tank, I'd run some Gumout Regane through it. I've had good luck with this stuff keeping my scooter carbs clean.

Yes sir, the belt did cross my mind. Will inspect it soon, good rainy day project when I can't mow. lol

Also I will clean out the variator and inspect the rollers. Honda grease from certain years tends to gum up, actually limiting CVT performance. I plan on cleaning out all that old gunk and (lightly) re-greasing the proper areas as well.

I tend to run MMO in the gas for all my vehicles, but will give the Regane some thought. Sure couldn't hurt.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joegreen

this was my thoughts exactly, my dad had one when I was a teenager.. looked very much like this one.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
What is the top speed you've had it up to?

Got it up to 45 mph on a flat stretch, but it seems the happiest (and smoothest sounding) between 35 & 40 - so that's where I normally run it.

Last edited:
Mounted the bicycle-type basket on the back bar. The OEM basket is rare these days and quite expensive when you do find one. For $15, this one will fit the bill nicely.

elite_80_left.jpg

P.S. - it also shined up pretty good too.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Haha you're really getting into it, have fun and be safe.
smile.gif

Been having a blast. Between work and mowing, not much time to ride. Dodging the rain showers, I have put 160 miles on it since the morning I brought it home.

Seems like the more I rode it the better it did. Now it seems to have reached a happy equilibrium, right on par with how these exact models i've ridden in the past are supposed to perform. Never thought (in the past) about actually owning one, but liking it more and more each day. I can see it staying around for quite a while.

Amazing what will entertain a simple mind such as mine.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back