Are Dorman Hoses Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98 Expedition 5.4 4x4 and have just noticed a very small leak in the oil cooling lines that go from the filter to the engine. The leak appears to be at the crimp fitting where metal lines meet the flexible hose.
The lines are 275.00 at dealer and 100.00 for Dorman at Autozone.
I want to make sure I only do this job once, but don't want to waste money either.
Are Dorman hoses good quality, or can anyone recommend where to get quality oil hoses in the 100.00 price range?

Originally Posted By: Fitz98
I have a 98 Expedition 5.4 4x4 and have just noticed a very small leak in the oil cooling lines that go from the filter to the engine. The leak appears to be at the crimp fitting where metal lines meet the flexible hose.
The lines are 275.00 at dealer and 100.00 for Dorman at Autozone.
I want to make sure I only do this job once, but don't want to waste money either.
Are Dorman hoses good quality, or can anyone recommend where to get quality oil hoses in the 100.00 price range?

Dorman hose is good for at least 50-100k miles. The same Dorman part number from Amazon or Rockauto can be much lower. The only problem is you need to wait few days for the part if you order it online.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Dorman would not be my first choice. But on a 1998 vehicle they may be a cost effective choice.

This.

If there are other brands in the same price range I would probably try something else. But when it comes to a part like this, multiple companies may be selling the same part.

Dorman has a hit-and-miss reputation on some things.

I did some junkyard shopping.
Found an OEM in good condition for 20.00, but I wil admit they are hard to come by. I was surprised how many Expy's don't have the oil cooler option.
I figure I will keep the other one as a backup and if this one goes, I could have a hydraulics company make new hoses, using the manifolds, without any down time. And This would end up costing same as a Dorman part, with higher quality.
Not an extremely hard job, so I think 20.00 was a good investment.

I spoke way too soon, nightmare project. Bolt broke on oil cooler line to filter assembly, and line corroded in place, got filter housing from junk car, bolt broke on oil cooler lines to oil cooler and line corroded in place, got new cooler off junk car. Now this cooler can only go in 1 path and one path only, and have to move a brake line and clip out of way, drain cooling system, and there is only enough room for ratchet and hex socket only to break bolt loose, then have to use pliers to loosen socket a few more turns and then fingers rest of way.
I hope I only have to do this once, working on Expeditions is always tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back