How does Mitsubishi motors USA survive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not bashing them, as I had a Galant that was a pretty good car, but I see nothing new from them and speaking of the Galant it's basically the same car as they introduced in 2004, I'd think that would be the most important for their survival in the states. Mitsu. just seems to keep hanging on somehow, do they have extremely low overhead or what is it?!

The cool kids in high school has Mitsubishi(s).What were they supposed to upgrade to when they have kids, come on Mitsubishi.

Last edited:
I always figured it was a combo of easy credit and people trying to buy "anything Japanese". Sell one car to everyone and you'll do all right.

This is all highly conjecture and I'd be sad if they failed like suzuki as there'd be noone else to keep Honda and Toyota competitive. Subaru and Mazda do their own thing.
wink.gif

Remember when a vehicles' model life cycle was 10 years.

Now it's like every 3 years they change something up.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
... Mitsu. just seems to keep hanging on somehow, do they have extremely low overhead or what is it?!

Well, they certainly save a lot on R&D.
smile.gif

But I think I've read in the past they're largely a tax write-off for the Japanese bank of the same name...

The commercial cab0over truck company, Mitsubishi Fuso, isn't doing well if they're not outright hemorrhaging money in the U.S. due to reliability problems with their awful automated-manual transmissions. Isuzu is outselling them like 6-1 last I checked. But Fuso is owned by Mercedes, and Mitsubishi has little to do with them. But Daimler has cash. How much they're still willing to keep putting in here is an open question...

Mitsubishi is a huge company with very deep pockets for which cars are only a minor sideline.
They can hang in this market for as long as they want to do so.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Mitsubishi is a huge company with very deep pockets for which cars are only a minor sideline.
They can hang in this market for as long as they want to do so.

+1

I know they're a huge conglomerate , but the USA division seems almost pointless.

The US is a minor market for Mitsubishi Motors. Mitsubishi Motors is a minor part of Mitsubishi conglomerate.

They are enormous.

On a side note, I wonder if they export the cars they make in Illinois to Canada and Mexico.

I wonder the same too. I remember Mitsubishi big screens being fairly popular too, now there's practically nothing. I used to have a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX that was a great looking and fun car to drive. The Evo was a cool car too but now it's leaving. What else is there to get excited about from Mitsubishi? I wonder if they will end up like Suzuki cars.

Those 2000GT-VTR or whatever type sports cars were really neat and gone along with the Toyota Supra-MR2-Celica GT=too bad both marques left the market of those type of cars

Originally Posted By: zach1900
I know they're a huge conglomerate , but the USA division seems almost pointless.

As I said, not necessarily if they can use it to write down their Japanese taxes...

We have a mits dealer here, lots of young people driving around mirages & lancers. And I've seen a lot if outlander sports too. Depends where you are I guess,

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
The Mitsubishi Zero was a big seller.
grin.gif

LOL Good one

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5wleeb
They did make all the motors for the Elantra. Don't know if they still do.

All Hyundai motors are engineered in-house now. Back from around 2009 to 2012 they had an engine engineering joint venture with Chrysler and Mitsubishi called the "Global Engine Alliance".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back