5-40 v.s. 10-40 UTV application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use regular 15w-40 Rotella personally. It's very sheer stable and I'm currently using it in my highly modified harley in the engine and primary.
Unless there is some kind of synthetic requirement then 15w-40 is what I'd use. Get a used oil analysis done after break in and compare vs their synthetic counterparts. My bet is the only difference at those intervals is out of pocket cost.

Check the spec's on the Kawasaki oil, it's an HDEO "Recommended in gasoline or diesel applications requiring API SM, CF, CJ-4, JASO MA and JASO MA2 engine oil."

I would run Rotella T 15W-40 or the T6.

Thanks for all the feedback, RT6 went in the motor, Kawasaki fluid in the rear diff, and Lucas gear oil in the front diff..

I will likely try the T-5 next (just to compare them) & NO, im no Lucas oil fanboy by any means.. its just what the powersports shop had on hand when I went in, and they discounted it for me.. so it will work till it gets its second scheduled fluid change.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Is there a spec that Kawi wants? If it's JASO MA, then RT6 is "better" than 10w-40 that's recommended. A little better cold start performance.

I would do what you're doing, run RT6 in 5w-40 and ride. Keep in mind the 0w-40 RT6 is not JASO MA.

Hmm, ive not seen the 0w40 on my local shelves.. has it been out long ? just wondering.. with that said I sold the Teryx with 33 hours and 500 miles on it.. great machine, with to much wheelbase for me.. Back to a Polaris Ranger.

The rotella t6 5w40 caused some weird noises from the trans in my kymco.

I think it's just too thin for my bike on startup.

Changes to havoline 10w40 conventional and 1 quart valvoline motorcycle synthetic 10w40 and no weird noises.

Running 3 quarts of castrol actevo part synthetic 20w50 with 1 quart gtx 20w50. Running great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back