2005 Explorer electronic gremblins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 11 days in beautiful Florida we got back to NJ and my wife's 2005 Explorer which worked fine when we parked it 11 days ago does not now. We did have heavy rains while we were gone. She can unlock it with the key fob. But the windows will not work, neither does the sunroof. The dash lights or the gauges do not work, nor does the radio, a/c, defroster or the info center. The only thing on the dash that works is a new binging air bag light. The head lights and brake lights do work. Any ideas of what to look for and test?

Thanks,

Whimsey

I once had a dime short out the cigarette lighter and blow the fuse for the dashboard.

Check to see if there is damage from mice or varmits.

Last edited:
Check all fuses and yes the battery! Look everywhere for good ground connections and electrical connections and battery connections.

Electrical gremlins on a Ford? Ha! Try owning a VW!

Besides checking the battery to see if it is good yet, disconnect the negative lead for a half hour then reconnect and see if it fixes anything.

Check your battery ground wire , I had a Nissan that started acting crazy. Thought it was the computer. Turned out to be the battery ground wire was very slightly lose. Tightened it up. Good as new.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
After checking what the others said, check for a bad BCM.

Yup. Either a bad ground or a faulty BCM. (assuming battery/fuses check out).

If it is a bad ground, when you go to the parts department, call it a Smart Junction Box. Otherwise my fellow parts people will look at you like you have 3 heads.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If it is a bad ground, when you go to the parts department, call it a Smart Junction Box. Otherwise my fellow parts people will look at you like you have 3 heads.

These have SJB's? I thought they had GEM's like the Taurus's?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

These have SJB's? I thought they had GEM's like the Taurus's?

The cataloging lists a 15604 which is a SJB. When I look up a 14B205 is says "serviced in 10849 on, not required on this vehicle" 10849 being an instrument cluster.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help. I called my indie mechanic and he said disconnect both battery leads and touch them together then don't connect them back to the battery for 45 minutes. I did this and everything now works
grin.gif
. It's like rebooting your computer I guess. Thank goodness for honest indie mechanics
grin.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Thanks for all your help. I called my indie mechanic and he said disconnect both battery leads and touch them together then don't connect them back to the battery for 45 minutes. I did this and everything now works
grin.gif
. It's like rebooting your computer I guess. Thank goodness for honest indie mechanics
grin.gif

Whimsey

I'm going to have to remember that one, never heard it before. Nice of him to tell you that rather than have you come in and charge you a couple hundred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back