97 GMC 2500 losing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

Greetings,
I hope someone can provide some insight into a mechanical problem I have on my hands. One of my work trucks a 97 gmc 2500, recently had a major repair. A seal was replaced to stop coolant from entering the oil. Ever since it came back from the shop it would leave a big puddle of oil on the ground. Soon after being shut off. We take it back and they say its just a old leaky seal that is now more noticeable. I don't buy this excuse but anyways lets fast forward to today.

I start the truck and immediately oil is pouring onto the ground. Its a steady drip now. I let it idle and warm up then shut it off. It ran for a total of 10 minutes. Drove it zero miles and lost HALF a quart. Something went horribly wrong. I'm willing to bet when they worked on the coolant leak they disturbed something else. How should we go about fixing this? Go back to the shop and get mad?

Before I forget its a 350(5.7L) motor. It has 430xxx KMS Always serviced every 5000kms. No other major issues.

I would find out exactly where it is leaking before I went back and got mad at them for doing something wrong.

I was checking it carefully. It's leaking somewhere between the block and oil filter base. I'm thinking crankshaft seal? It's in the same area as the previous job took place.

There are 3 places Coolant can enter the engine/oil.

The most common is the Intake Gaskets.
Head Gasket/s.
Oil Cooler in the Radiator, This will "Swap" Oil & Coolant.....Coolant in the oil & Oil in the Coolant.

The Oil Cooler Adaptor right above the Oil Filter is known to leak oil....The Gaskets harden & can leak like a sieve.

If they did intake gaskets And/or head gaskets & didn't seal the back of the intake correctly....It will leak down the back of the engine.

If the leak is no higher than the Oil Cooler Adaptor....Buy a Fel-Pro Seal Kit & fix it.

Last edited:
If its a simple oil cooler adapter gasket. I wonder why it burst so quickly. Oil was just changed with the last service. 1000 kms ago. Currently it has a Fram PH5 oil filter on it.

Originally Posted By: Run
If its a simple oil cooler adapter gasket. I wonder why it burst so quickly. Oil was just changed with the last service. 1000 kms ago. Currently it has a Fram PH5 oil filter on it.

Automobiles are like women....They do what they do for no rhyme or reason!

But seriously, The gaskets were probably already leaking (If they are what is leaking), The heat from the oil gets to them after awhile.

These trucks need this done every 100,000 miles, Your at 260,000 & way overdue...I bet it was done once already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back