Liqui moly additives? Are they good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a little about the liqui moly additives such as ceratec, mos2, and motor oil protect. What are the differences between these additives? Are they good? Do they work? Are they worth adding to Mobil 1 0w40 motor oil? Will it be fit at all?

the only thing I notice is no oil burn with M1 0W40/MoS2 combination, who knows...maybe my car just doesn't burn oil to begin with.

I wouldn't call their product essence of reptile but not that beneficial with todays engine oils.
MoS2 had a big following and was certainly of some benefit back in the days of SE and prior oils, its not needed today. Ceretec is iMHO just another useless solid additive like the rest of the hexagonal boron nitride stuff on the market.

Ive used the motor oil saver with good results in a high mileage oil burning Honda.

Mos2 is accounted to be antiwear, anti-rust & antioxidant, not reactive to other additives already in the oil bottle, making a cheaper oil withstand for longer drain intervals. Not to be used with Mobil 1 or such good oils.

The company and their additives are generally well respected even on BITOG. I have used MoS2 many times and it does work great, UOAs come back with almost no wear metals when I use it. It does make the engine run smoother and turns my normal 0.5L consumption over 10k into zero consumption and in other cars that consume a bit more it has also reduced or stopped consumtion completely. I think it's from the way it plates the cylinder walls.

I haven't used it for 2 OCIs now and I'm waiting to see if I notice anything different before I add it again

Can only offer my experience with mos2. It does help at least in the smoothing of idle and operation of small air cooled motors aka lawn mower. Older v8 motors and large semi truck diesels

Using mos2 last few oil changes in 1999 Saturn SL2. Was hoping to have no smoke at idle. Did that. Less oil consumption. Well combined with Delvac 15w-40 oil consumption is way down. I do not get a plume of smoke now when flooring it to get up to speed on free way. Engine is noticeably smoother. I figured if it reduced oil consumption it would pay for itself. I plan to continue using this product.

I use mos2,ceratec and motor oil saver.
They are the only additives I will pay for.
To be honest in a v-8 I see a reduction in fuel consumption however in smaller engines I don't notice any change.
Using mos2 I've got in excess of 16000 hours on 2 Honda powered air compressors. Original gaskets,never had to fix anything on them in a decade of hard use.
I like ceratec however I cannot say for certain if it reduces wear.
Motor oil saver is the premier stop leak and has boron which aids in TBN retention

They are one of the few companies who stand behind their products, most of which are already TUV tested and approved. They fulfill their purpose for which they are intended.

Yes, you can combine additives for different purposes - provided you do not overdo it. MoS2 and HLA can be used together.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Ceretec is iMHO just another useless solid additive like the rest of the hexagonal boron nitride stuff on the market.
I was under impression that at one time, you had said you liked Ceretec. I thought I even argued with you!

I developed a different opinion of all solid additives after i found them sitting in the bottom of the pan. Good things can have bad side effects.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Does LM MOS sits in the bottom of the pan too?

It did in Trav's car, which sits for long periods of time.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Does LM MOS sits in the bottom of the pan too?

You bet it does. I would never have known it if i didn't have to change the pan.
The cars sit from Nov - beginning of May, i pulled the pan the same week i took it out (a planned job) and there it was in the bottom.
I posted pics of it, since then no more solids or anything else for that matter in the oil unless its a neglected engine that is really bad. Instead of wasting my money i just buy better engine oil. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back