Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to do the bounce test -

Push down on the corner of the car. The suspension should rise and then settle back to its starting position. If it keeps on bouncing the damper needs replacing.

The bounce test can be a METHOD to use but some cars its not really a method to determine anything.

Check to see if they are leaking. I know most shops automatically recommend shock/strut at 60K.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
How do I test to see if my old Altima needs rear struts? (53K) Thanks

What makes you think they need to be replaced… Are you having problems?

Unless they are leaking badly(not small weepage) or bounce excessively, I doubt the struts would be worn out in 53k miles of use. Shops will replace them way before they are needed because the job is a quick money maker for them along with an alignment.

How does it ride? Does it settle excessively when loaded up, or dives hard under braking? Those are better indicators that it needs struts than the bounce test.

The OEM struts on my Cruze were shot after ~60k miles of driving over moonscape rural roads. The replacements are doing just fine after another 50k of driving over much smoother roads.

I'm not sure the bounce test works anymore. I'd base it on ride quality and how bumps are felt. Lean during turns etc.

How old is this car? 53k is very low mileage to need new struts, unless it's leaking and the car is really old and you drive in city potholes.

If the car rides good, the struts are probably fine. If they do need to be replaced, consider quick struts.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
How old is this car? 53k is very low mileage to need new struts, unless it's leaking and the car is really old and you drive in city potholes.

This is the first thing I thought, too.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm not sure the bounce test works anymore. I'd base it on ride quality and how bumps are felt. Lean during turns etc.

I agree. I just replaced the struts in my 99 Mazda Protégé. They leaked badly and made clunk noises going over bumps, but they passed the bump test.

The bump test shows if you have low speed dampening atleast.

I think initially you will see worse broken pavement performance out of a worn shock, so the tire will lose contact in a section of road patches. Its easiest to tell by going around a corner with some broken pavement and pot hole patches, and the car skitters sideways a little.
For me anyways, I wait until the shock is either making bad noises, or really won't keep the tire on the ground on rough pavement, or fails the bump test. Which means I don't replace struts very often.
1 rear strut went on my Neon at ~140k miles and the other one tested fine according to the brief bench test in the FSM. The Tracker has its original front struts as well, they are starting to skitter a bit, but more understeer isn't a bad thing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back