Opinion on Ridgeline bodywork

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing my brother's 2009 Ridgeline RTL. I've seen it briefly, and have driven it briefly, but not to a level I would if I were test driving something. He sent me some pictures of it, and cautioned me that there are a few dingers. Areas that I'd probably want to look at, or at least consider, if I bought it:

(1) Front bumper area. In the photo showing the right front corner, it looks like the bumper cover has been pushed rearward just slightly. This is probably not a big deal to me, but I'd still probably want to look at that.

(2) Driver's door ding. It looks like there's a dinger in the lower half of the front of the driver's door. This may come out with paintless dent removal, I don't know.

(3) The big area, obviously, is the driver's side rear door, and the big divot in the bodywork behind it. I'm not all that familiar with Ridgelines, but I'd wager that this would be a major project to fix -- I doubt that those quarter panels just unbolt from the vehicle. I also don't know if there's access behind that for someone to sort of bang that area back out to possibly fill and paint. As for the door itself, I imagine that's beyond repair -- that'd need a new door skin, right?

(4) Wheels. At least one of the wheels has some curbing on it, but I reckon that those are generally easy enough to repair.

The big plus is the interior is still in very good shape -- the leather is supple still and the the seats aren't smashed in too bad. It's an '09 with about 100,000 miles. My brother's father-in-law was the original owner and he used it as a truck, and my brother's used it as a truck. His father-in-law sold it to him last summer when he replaced it with a new Ridgeline before they went out of production.

If I bought it, I'd do the plugs, timing belt, and transmission fluid exchange right away. My wife's car is a 2005 Acura MDX, which has an identical drivetrain (non-VCM 3.5L V-6, 5-speed automatic transmission, VTM-4 AWD system), so I'm intimately familiar with it.

I appreciate any and all opinions on the bodywork I've outlined here. With it being a used truck and me planning to use it as a truck/beach mobile, I think I can live with the dingers...just trying to get a rough order of magnitude -- especially about the dinger in the rear quarter panel just behind the rear door.

truck-1.jpg

truck-2.jpg

truck-3.jpg

truck-4.jpg

truck-5.jpg

truck-6.jpg

truck-7.jpg

truck-8.jpg

truck-9.jpg

truck-10.jpg

truck-11.jpg

truck-12.jpg

If the price is right, I could easily live with those dents. The truck looks nice. I've always liked Ridgelines.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
What opinions are you wanting? Cost of repair or what?

I'm hoping to get an idea of the level of effort on those things, especially the door and bed corner divot. On the door -- can that rear passenger door be straightened in an "out patient" type job (by a skilled craftsman), or would that entire door need to be replaced? Similarly, for that large divot in the corner of the rear bed area. Is that something a body repair person could beat or pull back out, or would they have to cut/weld that to do a proper repair? Being on the corner, I imagine that it's more difficult.

I don't think any answers either way would dissuade me from buying it (the price has to be right, though), but I'd like to know going in whether some of those things would take more time and effort to repair than I think it's worth.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
It's a 6 year old car...

Our current 7- and 10-year old vehicles look showroom fresh, so this type of thing is new to me. Baby steps, here...
smile.gif

You'd probably be looking at a ballpark of $2K to have the damage to the rear door/quarter professionally repaired. Could go higher than that. They would likely reskin the door and cut out the section of the quarter and weld in new metal.

From a cost of repair vs. resale value of vehicle standpoint, it would probably still be well worth it to fix the damage if it bothered you, or if you think there is a possibility you would sell it in the next couple of years. If you're thinking you will keep it 10 years though and looks aren't a huge concern, maybe just leave it alone.

Last edited:
IIRC, it was $600 to have an aftermarket front fender painted and installed on our 2008 Honda Odyssey. The fender was about $150, pretty much all of the rest was paint. Paint cost is the killer. I could see these two whammos topping out at $2K.

Are you going to sell it before the dents become irrelevant? I put a big one into the Tracker at about 5 years in, and we decided to save the money and not bother to get it fixed. Now it matters not.

my opinion is it gives it character. as long as there is no risk of rust, who cares.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Are you going to sell it before the dents become irrelevant?

No. My plan would be to keep this truck as close to forever as I could. If all plans come together, my commute would become non-existent (working from home). Ridge owners commonly report very high miles out of these vehicles, so I believe this is something that we'd keep for a very long time.

Our next vehicle to be replaced would be the MDX. I have my eye on the 2016 Pilot, and we'd probably be looking to replace the MDX in the 2018-2020 timeframe (when it would be 13-15 years old).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Are you going to sell it before the dents become irrelevant?

No. My plan would be to keep this truck as close to forever as I could. If all plans come together, my commute would become non-existent (working from home). Ridge owners commonly report very high miles out of these vehicles, so I believe this is something that we'd keep for a very long time.

Our next vehicle to be replaced would be the MDX. I have my eye on the 2016 Pilot, and we'd probably be looking to replace the MDX in the 2018-2020 timeframe (when it would be 13-15 years old).

I would leave it then as our vehicles get used thoroughly and sheet metal sometimes is used to protect the important stuff. Sounds like you are going to be doing a bit more adventurous stuff as well, so leave it and add a few more.

I would leave it then as our vehicles get used thoroughly and sheet metal sometimes is used to protect the important stuff. Sounds like you are going to be doing a bit more adventurous stuff as well, so leave it and add a few more.

I think that's where my mind's headed as well. I started with a cherry mint 1984 Cutlass (first car) and brought home a lot of trophies with that car from car shows. But as I've grown, as I've had kids, as I've put marks on my own vehicles, I've become less anal about their appearance over time. I'm still a stickler about fluids and maintenance. But cosmetically, I'm starting to move toward the camp of scars adding character. Just as they do with humans -- we usually have stories to go along with every scar we have on our skin...

The angle and reflections in the pictures make it hard to tell just how bad those are.

I suspect that most shops are going to want to skin (if available) that door (or replace it with and LKQ door) and straighten the body side. IIRC correctly the body side is serviced as a complete side (a pillar to tail light). One option would be sectioning in a piece from a used panel (might be able to get one cheap with damage to the rear) but by welding tabs and doing various pulls with unibody alignment equipment a good body man should be able to get that looking pretty good as long as the pillar isn't horrible... you're likely to end up with as much filler in it sectioning it or replacing it as repairing.

It won't be cheap though...

I took the liberty of doing a quick estimate. Keeping in mind I don't know the rates for your area and writing estimates from pictures isn't ideal... About 21-2200 using a new skin and repairing the quarter.

If you're going to use it for a fun vehicle, I wouldn't bother getting it fixed.

As much as people rag on them (and I know I have) ... it's what 99% of truck buyers really need in a truck.

It would even suffice for my truck needs, I think.

I think the only real knock on the Ridgeline is no low range, which limits what kind of tighter, rocky trails you can do, or off road trailer work. That's the deal breaker for me atleast.
Also for a toy/tool, a rwd only mode lets you play Dukes of Hazzard if you are so inclined.
An 05 up Frontier has decent headroom in the back seat if you need that. The Tacoma has rounded the roof too much so I can't sit up back there and I'm only a bit over 6'.
I haven't sat in a Colorado yet but I don't think I'm going to get one of those anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back