BMW E9X N52 ENGINE GASKETS

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_4

So, why do BMW N52 engines have leaky gaskets? Oil filter housing, valve cover and oil pan gaskets all seem to have short life spans. I have had two of these vehicles, and both between 60-90k have had to have a combination of these gaskets replaced. The 2008 E92 had the valve cover gasket replaced at 48k. Both fed a steady diet of approved BMW oils at less than the absurdly long BMW OCI. Typically 5-7k intervals. Is it material related, temp related, or crankcase pressure related? Design or assembly related? Or is it something else? Liqu-moly motor oil saver slows it down, and does seem to postpone the repair, but does not seem to be the cure. I am looking for any insight as to what the cause is. Do I double the dose of LM motor oil saver after a couple of years and/or 40K?

Last edited:
I think gasket material is the main culprit.

I don't have BMW, my MB E430 original gaskets are still seal well and no leak after 15 years 170k miles. The LS400 has no leak either with factory gaskets after 21 years 370k miles.

Yes, it is the gasket material that bmw is using, and it is not just the N52 issue. My 530i with M54 engine has suffered from this, too. After some number of heat cycles, the gasket material becomes brittle and starts crumbling apart. It's really a shame that after so many years BMW still refuses to fix this.

It's ridiculous to me that a master engineering company like BMW can build such fine engines then not be able to seal them up for any length of time. My M54 was the same way. Their cooling systems suck as well. Come to think of it, maybe they're not such a good engineering company....

A bmw needs to mark its territory. It's a feature.
smile.gif

The proof "in the pudding" is that for the VANOS seals, on the S62 they used Viton, on the "pedestrian", non-S series engines, they got butyl rubber.

This same policy seems to apply to their valve cover gaskets (and other gaskets) which are rubber, and get hard. Other marques, lets take Ford for example, uses a silicone rubber that doesn't.

Obviously BMW is aware of the issue. For whatever reason however, they continue to use a material that most of us would describe as substandard. Silicone valve cover gaskets would probably last the life of the vehicle
21.gif

Somewhat OT, but my M5 valve cover gaskets were weeping when I got the car. It had the BMW 5w-30 in it. I started running M1 0w-40 in it and the leaks stopped and have never returned. Just one anecdote but figured it might be worth mentioning.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Somewhat OT, but my M5 valve cover gaskets were weeping when I got the car. It had the BMW 5w-30 in it. I started running M1 0w-40 in it and the leaks stopped and have never returned. Just one anecdote but figured it might be worth mentioning.

That's unpossible, everyone knows M1 causes leaks...

FWIW almost every newer BMW that gets traded in seems to have random leaks, mostly from either the valve cover or the oil filter housing.

Back from the shop today. Oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket. The Indy shop said that all the N52 engines they see have the same issues. I waited on the oil filter housing gasket for now, as it was the best of the trifecta. Some aftermarket company would clean up if they produced a better product than the factory. I see this as one of the reasons why not to buy a BMW.

What is the typical life on those OEM gaskets? At least 100K? If it is NOT, then I can understand your angst but otherwise you just make that as a part of regular maintenance on a BMW. I mean it can not be anymore complicated or expensive than me having to change the timing belt on my Honda/Acura at 100K miles.

I don't even have a BMW but I am mentally preparing myself in case I end up with one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back