Made in America index

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
American Made index
I felt it was a good read as the revised standards take a lot more into account. Some folks here that have agreed with me in the past about what is said in the article will like it in regards to the economic factors and R&D . Others? Well read away.

Cheers.
smile.gif

I'd have to agree that this list makes more sense than previous ones. Assembly is one portion, but parts, R&D and profit retention are other big considerations.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'd have to agree that this list makes more sense than previous ones. Assembly is one portion, but parts, R&D and profit retention are other big considerations.

Of course you will get a number of foreign made components in just about any car you buy. As the article states-some more than others.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Of course you will get a number of foreign made components in just about any car you buy. As the article states-some more than others.

Sure, some things just aren't made in this country - semiconductors are the first thing to come to mind. Sadly every year more and more things aren't.

The fact that one school of thought proposes a different way to measure "Americanness" than another school of thought just reinforces, at least to me, that the definition is anything you want it to be. I agree somewhat in principle with Kogod, but when you look at their matrix:

http://www.american.edu/kogod/autoindex/2015.cfm

You can see that they've plugged subjective numbers in for their categories based on definitions that are absolute.

R&D, for example, gives you 6% if a domestic company, 3% if foreign and assembled in the US, or 1% if foreign and imported. I wager that those are incredibly simplified versions of the truth, and probably don't accurately represent reality on a model-by-model basis. For example, the Odyssey and CR-V both get a "3" for R&D, though I can pretty much guarantee that the Odyssey's "domestic content" for R&D is significantly higher than the CR-V's. The Odyssey was engineered in North American for the North American market -- I'd say that nearly all of its R&D was in North America. The CR-V, in comparison, is a global car and I bet a much lower percentage of its R&D was in North America. Yet, it gets the same simplified score.

I'm not sure I agree with the all-or-nothing profit margin, either (6% if domestic, 0% if foreign). Regardless of the HQ location of the company, profits go to shareholders and profits are invested in assembly plants here in the United States. However, they curiously give Chrysler brands a 3, which isn't allowed per their definition. Either way, Chrysler used to be a 6. I'm not sure there was a point in time during their transition to Fiat where profits were handled significantly differently within Chrysler. Chrysler is still investing in its assembly plants here, it's still paying shareholders in the United States, I'm sure it's still giving money to local charities where their assembly plants and engineering offices are located, etc.

I believe the way they've defined their categories and the way they've defined the values given is far too simplistic. They didn't do any real analysis into how the profit stream at Chrysler, for example, changed after its merger with Fiat. They just dropped them from a 6 in Profit Margin to some imaginary 3, which doesn't really exist according to their definition of the scores.

I guess if this matrix makes sense to you, then go with it. I, however, don't see any real analysis here and, ironically, see a lot of inconsistency in how numbers are given based on a rigid definition (to be able to avoid any real analysis). This is a matrix that anyone with a Wikipedia connection could have done, just looking up locations of assembly locations and headquarters buildings.

Good to know what to avoid. I have had US made and Japan made Honda-s. While the Japanese cars lasted for a long time, the US made ones started experiencing electrical and paintwork problems after a few years.

The same goes for my past German cars.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Good to know what to avoid. I have had US made and Japan made Honda-s. While the Japanese cars lasted for a long time, the US made ones started experiencing electrical and paintwork problems after a few years.

German cars are known for electrical issues....no secrets there.....

Made in Germany were far better than Made in the USA.

Not sure if we have quality control issues in our factories or whether we are simply bad at making things.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

German cars are known for electrical issues....no secrets there.....

I think it is more the increased complexity rather than the actual electrical systems, at least that's been my experience. I've seen some rather bizarre electrical issues on all marques, nobody is immune. Though I do believe Lucas Electrics had the monopoly on garbage
grin.gif

I agree with Hokiefyd that there are some problems with this.

It's posted every year when the new rankings come out. I don't feel like writing my opinions on it all over again.

I'll just say ditto to Hokiefyd, as he nailed most of my issues with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back