Mobil 0W-40 or 5W-30 High Mileage for older cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 vehicles, both with approximately 190k Miles.
For high mileage vehicles, is there any advantages that Mobil 0W-40 offers over the Mobil 5W-30 High Mileage and vise versa?

Originally Posted By: Fitz98
I have 2 vehicles, both with approximately 190k Miles.
For high mileage vehicles, is there any advantages that Mobil 0W-40 offers over the Mobil 5W-30 High Mileage and vise versa?

If they are not using oil, then probably not.

One is a 98 Expedition 5.4 and uses 1 qt per 750 miles average.
Other is 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 and does not burn oil.

Both are at about 190K miles

For the Ford, use a 5w-30 HM oil. For the Nissan, if it's not burning oil, I wouldn't use either of your choices of M1 0w-40 or a 5w-30 HM. I'd say any non-HM 5w-30 should be fine for it.

FWIW, the 5.4L Tritons aren't picky at all when it comes to brands or grades. I know if certain people here see me say this, I'll be getting an influx of people representing their opinions as gospel against me, but... the truth is, for the Ford Modular V8s (the 4.6L and 5.4L), there is no best oil. All of them run equally well on 0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30, 0w-40, 10w-30, 10w-40, and even 15w-40. The Ford Modular V8s just aren't picky at all. I've run a different oil brand every oil change I've had in my 2001 F-150. I've used 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-40. Never an issue. Nowadays, I presume I'll stick with anything in the 5w-30 flavor.

~ Triton

The idea that no one seems to understand is use HM oil at 75K mi BEFORE leaks, & oil usage begins...

Now that's said I'd continue on with the Nissan and go to HM if it starts to use a little oil... The Expedition I'd have been using 10W-40 HM years back(I'm assuming consumption didn't recently start)... The valve seals are likely shot, only thing I'm aware of that is reported to help those is this stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2020-Motor-Saver/dp/B00CPL8WY8

BTW reportedly most NAPA stores have it on the shelf...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
The idea that no one seems to understand is use HM oil at 75K mi BEFORE leaks, & oil usage begins...

Smh. It's not as if non-HM oils don't have sealers and conditioners already. The only difference is that HM oils have a little more, and are a bit thicker than their non-HM brothers. So using HM as a preventative measure in vehicles that don't have any leaking/burning issues is similar to if you weren't going bald at all, but used Regaine anyway, to "prevent" going bald. Lol.

That being said... Fitz98, you can use HM oil in your Nissan if you'd like. It won't harm anything to use it. But if you're going with an HM oil that costs more than its non-HM brother, (which is usually how it goes), you're spending more without due cause.

Lastly, I don't know much about Nissans. If 40 grades are allowed as per the owner's manual, then M1 0w-40 would be fine. Otherwise, I am still going to recommend that you use any non-HM 5w-30 of your choice of brand.

~ Triton

(Edited for typo)

Last edited:
That year Nissan may well allow for a 40.. My 2008 can run a 10w-30 or 40 for temps above 0. If you are driving the Nissan really hard then a 0w-40 would be fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Originally Posted By: fmia
Maxlife would be a much better choice

Why??? Reasons & facts please..................

Thats what he uses...

Terrible stuff. Made my old 87 f 150 with a minor leak leak like the kitchen sink. I tried the Pennzoil high mileage next and no leaks. I later tried mobile high mileage again and back to leaking. Never again.

Originally Posted By: sinclair1
Terrible stuff. Made my old 87 f 150 with a minor leak leak like the kitchen sink. I tried the Pennzoil high mileage next and no leaks. I later tried mobile high mileage again and back to leaking. Never again.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Hello Doug!

Expecting only reason and facts will leave you severely disappointed. It has ceased to be present in most threads here lately. And mindless brand loyalty is rampant among the uninformed.

Personally, I have had great experience with Maxlife, but I have no doubt that Mobil makes a comparable product. Most differences among major brands are far more imagined than real...

whistle.gif

Well ML Syn 10w30 is on sale at Walmart.com for $18.18 currently, plus you can get a rebate for $10 and $20. So, I could argue that ML would be a better value in this case. Therefore a "better" choice. OP lives in FL so 10w30 is just fine. Also that's a robust oil for that cheap price.

There. "facts" and reasoning

wink.gif

Seriously. Cost is the best way to choose in many cases. Nearly any oil will do fine for 99% of the vehicles on the road. So might as well go with the cheapest.

Mobil 1 10w30 HM. It's an A3/ B3 oil just like M1 0w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back