ATF For a 2003 Honda Civic Automatic Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a transmission fluid for a 2003 Honda Civic with 100,000 miles on it. Some say use the original Honda Fluid some say use a dex 3
Looking for opinions on what others use in that transmission.. I will change the filter and fluid this week.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Looking for a transmission fluid for a 2003 Honda Civic with 100,000 miles on it. Some say use the original Honda Fluid some say use a dex 3
Looking for opinions on what others use in that transmission.. I will change the filter and fluid this week.

It couldn't matter less what "some" say. "Some" say to never change your fluid at all. What does the manual say?

And you're sure you're going to change the filter?

OT: seem like 90% of what ATF to use is from honda owners. I've never owned a honda and know the bitog wisdom.

Z1 isn't that good for long drains, but you can use it; many use maxlife with good results.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Use Honda OEM, its not expensive and you know it will work.

Yep

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT: seem like 90% of what ATF to use is from honda owners. I've never owned a honda and know the bitog wisdom.

Z1 isn't that good for long drains, but you can use it; many use maxlife with good results.

ATF-Z1 no longer exists. The current Honda fluid is DW-1.

I use Amsoil Signature Series Multi-Vehicle ATF in my girlfriend's '01 Civic with the trouble-prone AT. I change it yearly, once every fall. The '03s have better torque converters and would likely be fine just using standard Honda fluid. I used the same Amsoil fluid in my last Honda (a '95 Integra) that I had for 8 years and the automatic transmission was one of the only things on that car that never gave me a lick of trouble. The previous owner of the Integra used the Honda Z-1 stuff every 30k, though, and it made it to 120k when I bought it, so I likely would've gotten the same service out of it with that.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

ATF-Z1 no longer exists. The current Honda fluid is DW-1.

This is correct, I use only Honda Dw-1 in my Accord and have 0 complaints.

Use Honda OEM DW-1 fluid (formerly Z1) - that's all I've used in my old 2004 Honda Civic EX, annual drain and fills with 3 quarts. The filter is inside the transmission and not easily accessible to be replaced.

Last edited:
In this app, I'd use DW-1 or the Amsoil Multi-vehicle ATF. Amsoil was and is a go-to for Odyssey owners for a long stretch when Z1 was clearly not good enough to cover the mechanical issues with those V6 paired engines long-term.

If this car isn't having issues at only 100k, regardless of the fluid you use please completely remove the current fill with 3 drain/fills or a cooler line 'flush'.

I would only use Honda DW-1.

I got my Fit and it had Z1 in it from the factory and the cold shifting was really sluggish until the trans warmed up.

Up in Canada, all DW-1 is "Full Synthetic" and it shifted amazing the following Winter after only one Drain & Fill.

My Fit is now 4-5 years old and it is on it's 3rd Drain and Fill (I do it pretty much yearly) and it still shifts very good.

So use DW-1 with confidence.

Another chime in for MaxLife. Maintain same generation 01 Civic with 220k+ miles and used MaxLife for ~50k miles after Z1 was superseded, still shifting fine. Also ~15k in 3.0L Accord also specing Z1, same results. If you can find the gallon jug at WM it's also an excellent value.

Another choice I've used but not as long is Castrol Import Multi Vehicle, not synthetic like MaxLife but similar satisfactory results.

Z1 at least when it came to shearing, was to put it very kindly, nothing special. IME with all ATFs mentioned, ML or Castrol IMV are solid options for Hondas originally specing Z1.

And fyi, you won't find a serviceable ATF filter on that generation Civic. But, ATF d&fs are easily done.

I've used Valvoline Maxlife in a lot of Hondas with no problems. Its easy to find, a good price, and a good syn fluid that works.

I just made a thread a few days ago on my 2008 civic. I used Castrol IMV. Works flawless. I believe it's semi synthetic but seems to work great in mine. Had original fluid in it for 100k miles and was about a half a quart low when I did a service on it. I did the drain/fill 3 times and shifts great. I would have went with DW1 but the dealer was closed and when I get off work they are closed. I ended up getting 3 gallons and still have exactly 3 quarts left to do another one in about 3,000 miles then I'll leave her alone for 30k

Originally Posted By: Hiryuu
Use Honda OEM DW-1 fluid (formerly Z1) - that's all I've used in my old 2004 Honda Civic EX, annual drain and fills with 3 quarts. The filter is inside the transmission and not easily accessible to be replaced.

oh? have you opened it up to see the filter? i was under the impression that there was not a removable pan and there was no filter. there is a thread by a guy who took apart a failed auto tranny to see what was wrong. he had to remove it from the car to open it up and there is no filter inside. there is a very fine mesh screen on the oil pick up tube that gets plugged and starves the tranny for oil. installing an aftermarket inline filter is highly reccomended. here is the link.
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mec...estigation.html

You have a 03 Honda and its possible its the original AT Fluid..

I would use the HONDA DW-1 and I will tell you why.

1st Maxx Life is a FULL SYN and it can clean the inside to the point that it clogs the internal trans filter.. and them filters do NOT have a bypass so when your filter gets dirty and plugged up then your transmission blows.

So I would stay away from Valvoline max Life.. unless the AT Fluid is fairly clean...

However if its brown and dirty or black then just use the OEM HONDA DW-1

get 3 QTs of Honda DW-1 from the dealer and drain out all that will drain out
and clean the magnet on the ATF Fluid plug and put the drain plug back in and then add 3 QTs of HONDA DW-1

It will give you peace of mind..... ** TRUST ME **

I have used the Castrol Full Sun Multi-Import stuff 1 time...
but since then I have done 3 drain and fills with Honda DW-1

Also you might want to get some Lubegaurd RED... It helps keep the Trans running cooler
and its compatible with Honda AT Fluid. Its just a additive to help the trans run cooler

Lubegaurd is Awesome IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back