13 Seer or 16 Seer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having AC installed. When I bought house, the AC didn't work. Old unit is a Seer 8. I'll save brand preference for another conversation. Chicago area, hot, short summers.

2 ton Seer 13 unit $2200

2 ton Seer 16 unit $2600

$400 difference. From what I read, each Seer # is a 5% increase in efficiency, saving in energy cost.

I can afford either but don't want to throw money away if I'm not going to recoup the excess cost in the future....

What would you do?

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What is your current electricity cost? We have relatively cheap electricity here due to TVA, but not sure about Chicago.

Nothing is cheap in Chicago. 7.596 cents per kilowatt-hour but is always going up.

I would research and learn my cost per kilowatt hour for electricity and estimate the dollar value of the savings and pay back period. If the pay back period is acceptable to you, then go for it.

In this part of the country, regional standards dictate at least 14 SEER minimums. I live in a deregulated state so I shop my power once a year an know exactly what I pay for air conditioning. That is why I still have my 10 SEER system. Almost every A/C salesperson who pitches a high efficiency system to you is BSing you about the pay back.

If you would like a methodology for calculating this, PM me.

Using a "energy efficieny calculator" from Lennox's website yields a 19-20% savings based on my 7.596 cents per kilowatt-hour rate. It's always changing and will be going up...I know this is a perfect world figure.

The "energy efficiency calculator" says I'd save $200 over 5 years making a 10 yr breakeven.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dja4260
What is your current electricity cost? We have relatively cheap electricity here due to TVA, but not sure about Chicago.

Nothing is cheap in Chicago. 7.596 cents per kilowatt-hour but is always going up.

Dude, 7.6 cents a kilowatt is better than the nearly .11 cents a kilowatt I'm paying for in Ohio.

This appeared after I posted. That is still pretty cheap. Compare your kWh's for the hottest months compared to the coldest months. Unfortunately, this assumes you have gas heat. That makes it a lot easier to determine how many kWh's are devoted to A/C. In Texas, if you don't shop your electricity service you can pay as much as 12+ cents per kWh. (The joys of living in a "free" state - buyer beware)

The thousands of dollars difference in price can take decades to pay off. Also, I work for a major HVAC manufacturer and I'm going to tell you that the most energy efficient units are much more trouble prone than the older technologies. That is what you call the influence of government mandates on private industry. Take it for what it's worth.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Dude, 7.6 cents a kilowatt is better than the nearly .11 cents a kilowatt I'm paying for in Ohio.

It just went up 20%....It will continue to rise as well.

Hi dja,

Had to replace a combo heat and AC unit in Jan down here in AL.
It has a dual fuel electricity and Gas pack for winter and elec for AC in summer.
SEER is 15.5 and is a Carrier unit that is 5 ton rated
So far I have enjoyed the new unit.
Our cost is about 10 cents per KWH here. So you are better off than we are for cost of energy.
Personally I think you are better off spending the $400 on efficiency and saving money down the road. However you have to make that decision. I bought the hightest efficiency I could and hopefully will save after 8-10 years of operation

Only time will tell

Cheers
cheers3.gif

Go with the 13seer unit. Typically you will have to run a16 seer or higher 2.5 its life expectancy to see the savings. If you lived in the south with hot summers 16 seer all day long. The company i work for installs mostly 13-14.5 seer ac. I live in northeast wisconsin so our summers are pretty much the same. Jump on hvac-talk and you will get all the answers you need.

Any incentives / rebates from the local power company? When I installed my new AC and furnace, the incentives from the gas company and electric company went up with higher efficiency units. This could help offset the premium for the 16 SEER unit.

are you sure about that price? is that the final price?

In Ohio we have a "delivery charge" and a kwh charge

they are nearly equal (at least on my bill)
electricbill.jpg

My last bill. After all the charges its nearly 14Cents/kwh

My December bill was 130.xx for 965 kwh or almost exactly the same as the "cost recovery and distribution" scale exactly with the amount "delivered"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
are you sure about that price? is that the final price?

In Ohio we have a "delivery charge" and a kwh charge

they are nearly equal (at least on my bill)
electricbill.jpg

My last bill. After all the charges its nearly 14Cents/kwh

My December bill was 130.xx for 965 kwh or almost exactly the same as the "cost recovery and distribution" scale exactly with the amount "delivered"

That isn't my final price.

For example

Supply cost $38.61
Delivery cost $ 26.76
Taxes and Fees $5.64

Total $71.01 for 323 actual kWh @ a cheaper rate then I previously listed as I googled the rate.

I took a picture. See below

Last edited:
I just went through this a couple months ago, I went with the 13 SEER and I'm in AZ.

IMO cooling is like horsepower, better to have too much capability than not enough. Vote for 16.

Your bill makes it look like youre almost at 22c/kWh. But I don't know how those charges change with use.

I personally would push for efficiency in what is a capital item for your home. Im not seeing a compelling reason not to, because you haven't stated that youre planning to move, or that your rates are going down...

I suspect that rates are going up, and that youre planning to stay in place. So Id take the gamble on seeing a long run payback.

If that isn't true, you might reconsider.

Unless you REALLY like your AC and keep it real cold in the summer... In which case the use profile probably justifies the efficient machine even more...

Originally Posted By: Kuato
IMO cooling is like horsepower, better to have too much capability than not enough. Vote for 16.

energy efficiency is not related to capacity of the unit as far as matching numbers go. Larger units do seem to have a trend of slightly lower efficiency.

And you can have too much cooling.

I've wondered of the lower seer units have a better lifespan?
It seems dishwashers and refrigerators that used to have a lifespan of say 10-15 years are much more energy efficient but now have a lifespan of 8 years.

go with 16 seer. you will have some rebate from the local power company. congress may reinstitute the energy savings tax credit. and if you plan to sell the house, it is a bragging point. When I sold my first house, I showed the prior bills with the previous owners for oil heat. I insulated the whole house and the attic. cut the heating bill more than half. realtor put it in the write up for the listing and the people buying the house bit on it (and told me so). if you don't sell, enjoy the increased efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back