1993 BMW 318i Radiator Leak- Best product to fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BMW 1993 318i's radiator has a slow leak. I've never used any products in the past to fix radiator leaks. Do any of them work well ? My car has 360,oo miles on it and I'm thinking it would be good to not invest too much in a new radiator (and water pump, etc.)

You could read up on Subaru Coolant conditioner aka Holts Radweld; I have not used the product, but stumbled upon it when the Subaru dealer indicated to my boss that "nothing could be done" about the leaky HG in his car. I mentioned if nothing could be done, why was subaru selling a product that appeared to be something?

His wife ended up with a Mini w/o DI.

edit: this type of solution is offered in lieu of suggesting a new radiator, which is the more prudent fix; Nothing worse than a leaky radiator, and the aforementioned fix is like scotch taping ends of a rope together.

Last edited:
New radiator unless you are going to flip it in the near future. I'd also go with Behr- only $140. Are you sure that it's not the expansion tank that's leaking?

Since Denso doesn't seem to offer a rad for your car, go with either Nissens or Behr/Hella. Both are under $120 at Rock Auto (and don't forget the discount code!0

Go ahead and get the new radiator and do it right. You will be glad in the long run.
Especially if you plan on keeping the car and do not want to be inconvenienced in the future. I replaced my Jeep radiator 2.5 years ago and have not had any decrease in coolant volume since.

Few years ago, probably 2-3 years, OEM Behr radiator of my E430 had a leak at the connector, replaced with Behr and so far it is working well, hopefully it will lasted 8-10 years.

I agreed with recommendation of Behr for German cars.

This got me thinking of another post a few days ago of a product. Could Qbond potentially be used to fix his radiator? Or would it be considered temporary?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Few years ago, probably 2-3 years, OEM Behr radiator of my E430 had a leak at the connector, replaced with Behr and so far it is working well, hopefully it will lasted 8-10 years.

Just ordered the Behr ! Thanks every one for your help.

Does yours use the funky retention clips at the top? I've never been able to remove them without breaking them, no matter what. Fortunately they are relatively inexpensive at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: KevinV
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Just ordered the Behr ! Thanks every one for your help.

Please follow up on this. You initially didn't want to spend the money/time on a 22year 360k mile vehicle and the OCD group talked you into doing the radiator instead of stop leak. I'd like to know when all said and done whether you think it was the right decision.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Please follow up on this. You initially didn't want to spend the money/time on a 22year 360k mile vehicle and the OCD group talked you into doing the radiator instead of stop leak. I'd like to know when all said and done whether you think it was the right decision.

Follow-up how? Or are you just spitting back sour grapes?

What do you want him to do, come back in a year and show how his non-leaking new radiator would somehow been just as good had he put in a stop-leak? Or the other way around? How's he supposed to compare?

Actually your comments make me quite sure he did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back