Why is Mobil 1 0w40 so cheap and good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. Why is it so "great", but so cheap? Everyone seems to love it. It has a ton of approvals. So why so cheap compared to other brands? I put great in "" because obviously that is opinion based. But seriously. As all of you know it's currently in my car. I want to switch it out. But I can figure out why it is as good as it is for such a cheap price. I mean it seems to be better than the higher priced oils in most if not all categories. So how come Mobil can afford to sell it so cheap while others charge so much?

Mobil 1 Is like the Wal-Mart of oils. They make it up in volume which translates to free advertising. Imho

Because XOM is the pack leader in the synthetic world and they are a major supplier of base oils and additives via ExxonMobil Chemical and their joint venture with Shell - Infineum. Economies of scale too. They make up about 50% of the synthetic market.

Mobil in general has huge economies of scale, because they're so dang big.

Mobil 1 0w-40 in particular has huge economies of scale, because it's factory and service fill for so dang many cars.

Castrol 0w-40 is cheaper than Mobil 0w-40 in Canada when both are on sale.

Castrol is on sale every 2-3 months at CanadianTire.

As they are equally good, it is Catrol filled for me.

As far as Walmart goes, all the syn oil in 5qt. jugs are priced pretty much the same, and it's good as long as your Euro sled calls for it...which can be said across all the popular oil weights like 0W20 and 5W30.

Surprise no one mentions the higher iron issue with M1: higher wear or iron reaction to formulation?

Last edited:
Also, to be fair:

We don't actually know whether Mobil 1 0w-40 is a "great" oil per se. All we know is that it meets the minimum requirements for a ton of very demanding applications. There might well be other oils that exceed those minimum requirements, which would make them better than Mobil 1 0w-40. The thing is, we have no way of knowing what those oils are, because they have nothing backing them up besides advertising claims. At least Mobil 1 0w-40 carries the approvals.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Also, to be fair:

We don't actually know whether Mobil 1 0w-40 is a "great" oil per se. All we know is that it meets the minimum requirements for a ton of very demanding applications. There might well be other oils that exceed those minimum requirements, which would make them better than Mobil 1 0w-40. The thing is, we have no way of knowing what those oils are, because they have nothing backing them up besides advertising claims. At least Mobil 1 0w-40 carries the approvals.
It's the boutique oil of the moment. Sooner or later something else will come along.

It must clean very well. It even consumes the iron components on your engines lol.yummy yummy iron.

Originally Posted By: fmia
It must clean very well. It even consumes the iron components on your engines lol.yummy yummy iron.

Is this your only punch line? I see the thread you started about the same subject got locked. I wonder why?

Oh wait, that wasn't the same subject. That was about Mobile 1 oil. Never mind.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
At this very moment from Walmart

M1 0W-40: $23.88
Castrol 0W-40: $26.68

Time to pick up a jug!

...meanwhile in Canada:

M1 0W-40: $51.99 (CDN Tire)
Castrol 0W-40: LOL...what is that?

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Castrol 0w-40 is cheaper than Mobil 0w-40 in Canada when both are on sale.

Castrol is on sale every 2-3 months at CanadianTire.

As they are equally good, it is Catrol filled for me.

Compared to USA, foreign "sales" are grand theft.

It's almost a "universal" global lube, has many more approvals than most oils.

Could be used for nearly every application, stationary through OTR come the apocalypse (to be tempered with the new low SAPS movement, but they'll stop running when their blue runs out).

and at $100/5L in Oz, likely to be the last thing left on the shelves at that point too.

That's why I'm bashing it now. I asked a simple ?? And discovered bitog has cry serious whinners amongst their fold. I see peoples ripping FRAM or Purolator filters like a PitBull given a raw steak. Yet u ask a valid ?? About mobile 1 and it gets bumped. Lol so either mobile 1 is some moderators sweet heart oil or Exxon is slipping some green under the cracks somewhere. I simply wanna know why all the iron. It's not formulated in the oil so common since tells where it comes from in all those hundreds of uoas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back