SOPUS w/ low NOACK for DI engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VR6

Greetings! I am a huge fan of SOPUS products. I use PYB 5w30 in my Tacoma and (at this last change) Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40 in my VR6 Passat.

What are your thoughts on NOACK as it relates to direct injected engines? To my mind, it would make sense that a lower volatility product would hopefully leave less in the way of deposits in the PCV system and on the intake valves of these engines.

As I understand, Ultra Euro and now Platinum Euro have a very low NOACK rating. Thoughts?

The lowest NOACK SOPUS non Euro was the old Pennzoil Ultra, which was 6.6.

I know the PP Pure Plus is 9.1. The new Ultra Pure Plus i am not sure of.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: wemay
Platinum 10w30 4.7%

That's not a Euro oil.

M1 0w-40 is 8.8% FWIW.

Sorry about that. I thought the OP was just looking for lowest Noack SOPUS.

Originally Posted By: VR6
As I understand, Ultra Euro and now Platinum Euro have a very low NOACK rating. Thoughts?

We actually don't know what the Noack is for the latest Pennzoil Euro formulations. SOPUS does not list it in their spec sheets anymore.

However, any oil meeting MB 229.5 spec will have Noack of 10% or less. Will your DI engine notice a difference between 10% and 7%? I have no idea.

Although in general, low Noack and low SAPS would seem like a good idea for DI engines.

A little off topic. Which synthetic 0W20 has lower Noack ?

My daughter 2014 Accord LX DI I4 needs 0W20 oil, she has 1 more year free oil change at local Honda dealer. I will do oil change for her next year. Oil filter will be either Wix or Fram Ultra which I already have few in my stash. FCI(Filter Change Interval) will be on second oil change, OCI will be MM at 5-10% which is about 8-9k miles.

May be any name brand synthetic 0W20 will be sufficient ?

Can we be sure the difference in an oils Noack would make any difference for the intake deposits? There is lots of other stuff in the blow by gasses.

Another BITOG member and I both had good results with TGMO (me), and M1 AFE 0W20 (him). I'm talking about 10000mi oci with typical good Honda wear results. Fuel does not seem to have any effect. We both have '13 4cyl Accord.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

My daughter 2014 Accord LX DI I4 needs 0W20 oil, she has 1 more year free oil change at local Honda dealer. I will do oil change for her next year. Oil filter will be either Wix or Fram Ultra which I already have few in my stash. FCI(Filter Change Interval) will be on second oil change, OCI will be MM at 5-10% which is about 8-9k miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I would go with Mobil 1 0W20 AFE or EP. Castrol is probably solid, too. Pennzoil 0W20 is the only oil I have had oil consumption with in my DI. Mobil 1 0W20 AFE has been perfect for me so far.

After free oil change I probably go with M1 AFE 0W20 and Wix filter and OCI according to MM. After warranty I probably go with M1 0W20 EP and Ultra filter and double OCI to 2 times MM. May be do an UOA at the end of first MM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back