Rear-View Mirror Fell Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I believe trying to finagle the VERY poorly fitting "custom" sunshade may have contributed to the problem, but last week my rear-view mirror was not attached when we got in for a drive.

I've got the mirror "button" in a bath of isopropyl alcohol, which has dissolved most of the adhesive there, but my question is with the windshield side. I purchased the Permatex Rearview Mirror Adhesive Repair kit, which appears to be designed for a metal button and, well, glass.

My Honda Civic has what appears to be a coating on the OEM glass that I'm worried may cause problems. I haven't cleaned that area of glue until I figure whether the silver-looking coating needs to be cleaned off or not.

Any experience with this or advice? I'm hoping to fix this one, and once only.

Last time I reglued on a rear view mirror it took me 2 X to get is right.

Right, hence my post. I could half-[censored] this tomorrow morning, before heading to work, or I could spend a few more days figuring out how not to screw it up.

What did you do the second time?

I had a car once that seemed to drop the rear view about once a year at least. The 'rear view mirror adhesive' you buy at the auto parts store isn't that great. I would just scrape the glue off the windshield, wipe it down with some alcohol and glue it back on with super glue. Definitely worked better than the special adhesive.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I had a car once that seemed to drop the rear view about once a year at least. The 'rear view mirror adhesive' you buy at the auto parts store isn't that great. I would just scrape the glue off the windshield, wipe it down with some alcohol and glue it back on with super glue. Definitely worked better than the special adhesive.

That's what I'll do next, if this "special" kit doesn't work.

What I'm concerned with now, is whether the coating on the OEM glass will effect the kit. I'm not even sure what it's purpose is.

Wow ok. I've only ever had one mirror come off in 35 years, and I put it back on following the instructions on the mirror adhesive package. It never came off again. What are you people doing to make it come off once a year?!?

If you're not 100% sure that you can do the re-attache the mirror correctly go to auto glass shop and pay them $10. They re-attache mirror for the replacement windshield many times every day, they know how to do it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you're not 100% sure that you can do the re-attache the mirror correctly go to auto glass shop and pay them $10. They re-attache mirror for the replacement windshield many times every day, they know how to do it.

That's actually a good point that I didn't think of. If it doesn't work the first time I'll do that.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I use jb weld.don't put the thing on backwards!

crackmeup2.gif

Get the mirror mount and the glass extremely clean. Then use GE 100% silicone sealant to glue the mount to the glass. Seriously, you'll never have to do it again. They got it at the Walmart paint department in a squeeze tube.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

That's actually a good point that I didn't think of. If it doesn't work the first time I'll do that.

I don't know how to re-attache rear view mirror, I had windshield replaced more than once in my 35+ years driving and I saw the auto glass shop did it so I post here. If you can't do it yourself then it is an option for you.

I had one come off last summer in the heat. Bought a kit at the auto part store and followed the instructions and it is still in place.

Don't be in a big hurry when you do it as you want it to last for many more years.

Hobby shops sell REAL undiluted Super Glue that works. Gap Filling is my favorite type . JB weld will, no doubt, NEVER give up, but when you need a new windshield?????

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Hobby shops sell REAL undiluted Super Glue that works. Gap Filling is my favorite type . JB weld will, no doubt, NEVER give up, but when you need a new windshield?????

The mirror comes off the metal bit that gets glued to the windshield. When you get a new windshield, this metal bit gets replaced.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Wow ok. I've only ever had one mirror come off in 35 years, and I put it back on following the instructions on the mirror adhesive package. It never came off again. What are you people doing to make it come off once a year?!?

I didn't make it come off once a year... Maybe it was a heavy mirror? Or maybe I just don't follow instructions as well as you.

You glue on the metal piece, then tape the metal piece on and leave it there for a week while you drive something else. Then reinstall mirror to metal piece. At least that's what I did.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

What I'm concerned with now, is whether the coating on the OEM glass will effect the kit. I'm not even sure what it's purpose is.

Personally, I would not attempt to remove the coating. Just wipe it down with the cleaning pad in the kit.

The coating is probably rougher than smooth glass anyway, so if anything it will probably help the glue out. I don't think there's anything really special about the glue in the kit...the advantage of the kit is that everything you need is there...cleaning wipe, emery cloth to clean up the button, etc.

Follow the directions on the kit, don't use too much glue, and be patient/take your time.

I had a windshield put in my truck in 2013. The mirror fell off last summer (about a year and a half after install). It looked like the glass shop used a lot of glue.

I used the Permatex kit, and the mirror is still on about a year later. I just used a drop of glue, per the instructions, and let it set up per the instructions. The glue is strong stuff. Make sure you have the button oriented the right way.

Well, that lasted 6 months or so...

I hopped in the Civic this morning and it was in the passenger foot-well.

The glue on the windshield looked looked like a perfectly-sized round little circle. There was no glue on the clean-looking rear-view tab.

I'd have to say that my prep was overboard, to say the least, and the installation was performed on a very mild day, at something like 50-70F weather.

I've emailed the vendor on Amazon to see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back