How Much Metal Is Too Much Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last evening I changed the motorcycle oil. Out with the old Mobil 1, in with the new Mobil 1.
As I finished the job and drained the old oil from the drain pan into a big waste oil jug, I noticed a good deal of shiny little pieces sitting in the bottom of the drain pan. Very small, but unmistakable. The previous oil change was just under 2k miles back. Normal? Not good? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Lrobby99
Last evening I changed the motorcycle oil. Out with the old Mobil 1, in with the new Mobil 1.
As I finished the job and drained the old oil from the drain pan into a big waste oil jug, I noticed a good deal of shiny little pieces sitting in the bottom of the drain pan. Very small, but unmistakable. The previous oil change was just under 2k miles back. Normal? Not good? Thanks.

If the transmission shares the oil with the engine, you get "Stuff" from the gearbox and the clutch. I believe most of what we see under the circumstances you describe is from the wet clutch.

I like 4wheel's opinion. Used clutch material has to go somewhere, right?
CT8 the bike is a 2006 Suzuki Vstrom 1000. Miles are 22,700
Romps and stomps like a Rhino on Red Bull. Do you agree tiny bits are bound to be seen with a wet clutch bike?
thanks, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back