7.3 powerstroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1999 f-250 7.3 powerstroke. I only put on around 3000 miles a year. Is there a synthetic oil and good filter I can use year round? I live in Alberta, Canada so temperature can go from -32 F in winter to 90 F in summer.
I pull a 32' holiday trailer in the summer and use her mainly to clear snow down my driveway in the winter.
any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30. If I could get it in the USA for a reasonable price, I would run it in all my diesels (that don't leak or burn oil).

This was going to be my suggestion too.

A diesel engine is expensive to purchase and sometimes expensive to maintain. Whatever scheme you choose, I'd consider a couple of UOA's to confirm my maintenance plan. If the results indicate that you should change at least the oil if not the filters twice during the year then you've gained some valuable insight it to keeping that truck healthy. If once is enough then at least you can drive with confidence knowing for sure what's going on inside.

Once this is accomplished you have the makings of an interesting thread.

The 7.3 HEUI system isn't nearly as tough on oil as my 6.0... so really this becomes a "take your pick" conversation. Any of the 5w40 HDEO syn's will suffice just fine. You could also go lower to a 30-weight if you chose (like the Mobil Delvac Elite 0w30 recommendation). No right or wrong answer here. I would personally do a UOA after one of your initial OCI's just to confirm everything is "looking OK" (which I'm sure it will be given what you described).

If you have a Deere dealer nearby check out their "Plus 50" line of oil, I run 10w-30 in my 7.3 IDI along with my 6.0's(both 6.0's have been traded) and also my current 6.7.

They also offer a 0w-40, but its expensive. Personally I would run 10w-30 and forget about it. Deere also offers their own line of filters along with FleetGuard.

So a 0w30 is not to thin? I always assumed a thinner oil would not get throughput the engine fast enough. Hence the w40 rating.
You guys obviously know more about oil than I do so I'll take your word on it!!
Any suggestions on filters? I was going to order a Donaldson (?)

No, a 0w-30 isn't too thin, at least from an HTHS perspective. There are also 0w-40 and 5w-40 HDEOs from Imperial Oil, SOPUS, and Husky (Chevron products). There are also some modern 5w-30 HDEOs. A Donaldson filter would be fine for your application.

A thinner oil will definitely start pumping faster at the outer limits of Alberta's winters, and Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 is one of the best on the market in that regard, be it for diesels or gassers.

Originally Posted By: Dan_G
So a 0w30 is not to thin? I always assumed a thinner oil would not get throughput the engine fast enough. Hence the w40 rating.
You guys obviously know more about oil than I do so I'll take your word on it!!
Any suggestions on filters? I was going to order a Donaldson (?)

I use Fleetguards myself, but there's nothing wrong with Donaldson (especially the Endurance line)-& if you're going to start your truck at -30F (or Celsius) without an oil pan heater-you're going to need the thinnest oil you can get away with running.

I wouldn't doubt the capabilities of any suitable Amsoil product, but up here, if one is buying from the distributors of the majors, the Amsoil will be roughly double the price.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
If you have a Deere dealer nearby check out their "Plus 50" line of oil, I run 10w-30 in my 7.3 IDI along with my 6.0's(both 6.0's have been traded) and also my current 6.7.

They also offer a 0w-40, but its expensive. Personally I would run 10w-30 and forget about it. Deere also offers their own line of filters along with FleetGuard.

RoadRunner - are you able to get a decent price on the 10w30 Plus50II? My local dealers are over $19/gallon which isn't competitive compared next to Rotella T5 @ just over $16/gal, but I stock up when they have their rebate promos - like the $5 MIR offer they just had (making it just over $11/gal after said and done). I feel like you mentioned once that Deere has promos sometimes too, but I can't remember.

Last edited:
Yes - we all would agree that damaging an engine is a huge waste of money. But so is throwing good oil down the drain.

We here in the States now enjoy a pretty darn plentiful supply of T5 10w-30, and for a great price, at WallyWorld. It will perform just as well as T6 for a lot less money, and probably (dare I say definitely?) shear less, too. I'm not sure if you can get such a deal in Canada.

I do understand that cold temps up there are more severe than for must of us down here. With that in mind, I would give a nod to a semi-syn over a conventional, which is typically my first choice. But for such limited annual use, I hate to see money thrown away.

Your other alternative is to get a good syn and then run longer (multi-year) OCIs. Perhaps run 6k miles or maybe 9k miles (up to three years) on an expensive syn?

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

RoadRunner - are you able to get a decent price on the 10w30 Plus50II? My local dealers are over $19/gallon which isn't competitive compared next to Rotella T5 @ just over $16/gal, but I stock up when they have their rebate promos - like the $5 MIR offer they just had (making it just over $11/gal after said and done). I feel like you mentioned once that Deere has promos sometimes too, but I can't remember.

Deere usually runs promos (at least here in the states) in February. Don't compare price per gallon between manufacturers without an UOA to compare how much longer one oil can be kept in service vs. another. You can come up with a cost per mile per OC.

With your usage I am going to guess your intervals can be greatly extended, if its something you're interested in doing. The Deere Plus 50 line is intended as an extended service lube, the "Plus 50" means 50% over their own intervals, with a guarantee. Of course this pertains to their own line of engines, but with UOA there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't extend your intervals.

I have a 6076 (7.6L) Deere engine in a marine application, when USLD became the norm and Deere introduced the new Plus 50 II they extended the OCI to 500 hrs. on all of their legacy engines. As an example when my engine was built it had a factory interval of 250 hrs., or 325 hrs. if using Plus 50. That is one heck of an extension with no UOA required.

Back to my point, if one were to do a cost analyst per mile you may find that even if you're paying more up front you may get it back, plus some on the back end.

Good point. I have another change waiting in my garage of T5, and plan on a UOA of my current OCI as well. I may just give it a try regardless to see how it does. Thanks as always RoadRunner!

The truck has always ran rotella T 15w40 and ac deco oil filter in summer, and rotellaT 10 30 in winter. I've got tired of the cost of changing good oil out 2x a year, so I im looking at options and found this site. Needless to say I am ignorant when it comes to the science of oil. I would prefer to run less oil changes on a better oil/ filter routine. dnewton3- what syn or semi syn would you recommend? Ever used Mobil 1? How about filter?
I've never done a UOA but will before my next oil change. Curious to see what is going on in my engine!

What's your availability to a block heater, pan heater, and/or a heated garage there? My dad, when he had his 7.3, used 10w-30 HDEO over the winter, an Esso XD-3 product from Imperial Oil. That could be a year round option if you prefer a conventional based upon price.

Stay away from Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 in Canada unless you like spending a monumental amount of money. Imperial Oil will get you the Mobil Delvac 1 equivalent product at half the price.

I would suspect you can actually use a 10w-30 year round, even a conventional one. I would rely on Garak for the local suggestions on brands; I'm not familiar with some of the prominent Canadian flavors.

Yep, that's precisely what my dad did. He just plugged in when he knew he was going to use it in the bitter cold. If he forgot, he just grabbed a gasser for the day.
wink.gif
There are lots of choices from the majors to thing like Boss Lubricants, which is fairly cost effective in western Canada, not to mention Petro-Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back