DIY cheap supercharger

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I saw some electric "supercharger" things on ebay and they supposedly boost your intake pressure by ~1 psi, or so, they run for about $400. Being a really cheap person, I considered the following idea: take a little $30 shop vac and a $70 700 watt inverter and make a homebrew supercharger. Could this possibly work, folks?

A 1.5 peak hp shop vac (electrical rating of 5.75A x 120V = 690 W), moves about 120 cfm according to:
http://www.shopvac-canada.com/products/301/30101.htm
(We can probably assume this cfm figure is peak air movement across no intake-exhaust pressure difference.)

A 2 litre engine draws in 1 litre per cycle since half the pistons in the engine are always exhaling, while half are inhaling. So at 4000 rpm:
4000 liters/min = 141 cfm

These numbers are on the same order 120 cfm ~ 141 cfm, so the the shop vac engine may boost airflow considerably.

It would be quite tricky to get it all working, and the inverter would probably blow if it was run for more than a minute at a time. (You would have to install a button inside to manually switch the motor on/off) But I think this would make a great project if somebody is really into tinkering.

The cheapest and nastiest I've ever seen was an old SAE paper on what I considered to be a really good and well thought out idea.

The guys used the principal of an ejector to use compressed air being forced through a venturi to provide a marginal boost.

Compressed air was provided by a pressure vessel, charges by a tiny compressor when the engine is relatively lightly loaded.

Under brief conditions of high load, it provided a significant short term boost.

How 'bout a 200CFM leaf blower
grin.gif

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
If the shop vac flows 120CFM, and the engine needs 141CFM then you have a flow restriction, not a boost.

Agreed. Few more things:

Your calculation is wrong for the inverter. 1.5peak-hp = 1118 Watts.

Additional electrical losses are going to kill it. Alternators are ~70-75% efficient. Solid state inverters are around 80%. Line losses in all that. Look at about 50% overall electrical efficiency from alternator rotor to rotor side of fan.

ferb!

edit: bad math.

[ January 12, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Ferb ]

cool.gif
The one on eBay is a scam. I doubt a leaf blower would work and how would you close the hood?
lol.gif

Electric Supercharger:
 -

Boat Bilge Exhaust Fan at West Marine Online for $25:
 -

No biggie, I have to straighten people out on the Ranger Boards all the time. This and the Tornado.
rolleyes.gif

[ January 12, 2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

Thanks for all the interesting input, people.

I like the compressed air vessel idea, though such a project would be a major undertaking. Perhaps the compressed air vessel could serve as storage for regenerative breaking.
quote:

Compressed air was provided by a pressure vessel, charges by a tiny compressor when the engine is relatively lightly loaded.

More:
quote:

If the shop vac flows 120CFM, and the engine needs 141CFM then you have a flow restriction, not a boost.

Not true, the shop vac CFM figure is for zero pressure differential I assume (1 ATM exhaust, 1 ATM intake), the engine however generates a vacuum, and the pressure differential would assist and boost the 120 CFM figure to some throughput somewhat greater than the normal 141 CFM. How these flow rates add, cannot be simply calculated, unfortunately.

quote:

Your calculation is wrong for the inverter. 1.5peak-hp = 1118 Watts.

That is not the average power drawn. The inverter also has a peak number listed which is like 1400 Watts. But yes, the heavy load of a Vac, and the peak power could be a problem. So a 200 CFM would surely blow the inverter in no time.

Hmmm, I like this idea:
quote:

Boat Bilge Exhaust Fan at West Marine Online for $25

shocked.gif

Cheappp!!!
...and it probably runs off 12V DC power directly!

[ January 12, 2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: giant_robo ]

Yeah...those one's on ebay are all a scam. It will NOT provide any kind of boost. Your idea isn't going to push enough air either...sorry...

If you are gonna carry a compressed gas tank - why not straight O2? (like a NOS boost).
grin.gif
but dangerous
crushedcar.gif

The boat bilge exhaust fan - that is FROGGING hilarious!!
lol.gif
Thanks for making my morning!

quote:

If you are gonna carry a compressed gas tank - why not straight O2?

Because, unlike N2O, O2 is not buffered. Introduce it to an engine's combustion cycle and you will have an instant slag heap...

Now N2O, with the proper safe-guards, now that is a different story...

At any rate giant_robo, TANSTAAFL...

hey, that pic of the west marine blowers is of two. Does that mean you could have a twin blower (turbo) setup for $25?

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
you guys are talking about cfm, but what about pressure. i doubt any of your ideas would create even 6psi, which is a small amout of boost.

Good question. It's simple to calculate how much power it would take to compress a given flow of air under ideal conditions. It's a bunch more power than has been discussed here so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back