How to gain power on a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Avery4
I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4l with 200,000 miles. Are there any easy ways to gain power? Already using synthetic oil and trans fluid, cold air intake, plugs and wires, clean fuel system, new fuel filter and no mechanical engine problems or maintenance due. Each cylinder has 180 psi of compression, give or take 3 psi. Any easy mods fore more power?
OK, what is your goal? Your car is a 15yo grocery getter, nothing more. Do you want a little more pep at a traffic light? A little better gas mileage? Define your goal. Someone else mentioned, the car is heavy. Anything you can do to reduce weight will help some. What are you carrying in the back seat, in the trunk. I have seen cars with 200lbs of stuff in the back seat, another 300lbs in the trunk, Another 50lbs of dirt in uc, That's 20% of the car's weight.

Neons.org will have every trick there is for that motor. I think almost everything has been tried and documented there.
I don't know how much the 2000 stratus motor has in common with the 1st gen Neon motors, but its probably all in there.
On my 1995 Neon, the stock exhaust was big enough and flowed fine for quite a bit more hp that stock. Maybe some cheap headers would be your next step, but head swaps were also common, so plan out what you want to do.

well.. you could always throw a turbo on it with about 30psi... and chase that with a three stage active fuel management system.. then follow that up with a couple 10 lbs bottles of Nitrous..
smile.gif

What about removing the line from the egr valve to intake manifold and plugging hole in intake?

That will just make a big mess. It certainly won't unleash any appreciable horse power.

Honestly......The most effective way to make this car quicker is remove weight. Remove the spare tire. Take out the back seat. Remove the fast food wrappers from under the seats. Take the bowling ball out of the trunk.

Anything more you do to make the engine produce more power will only serve to shorten its (Already limited) remaining life. Plus......Hot rodders always walk.

I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4l with 200,000 miles. Are there any easy ways to gain power? Already using synthetic oil and trans fluid, cold air intake, plugs and wires, clean fuel system, new fuel filter and no mechanical engine problems or maintenance due. Each cylinder has 180 psi of compression, give or take 3 psi. Any easy mods fore more power?
How old are you?

The same basic engine was turbocharged in the PT Cruiser GT, so you could swap one of those in. But honestly- more effort than the car would be worth. That engine is a good, solid, reliable workhorse, but there's no aftermarket support to turn the normally aspirated version into a higher performer. The turbo version- sure, for the PT GT and Neon SRT4 support is out there. But not the normally aspirated version.

The one exception might be finding someone to develop a custom PCM program to get a little bit more power and (honestly the biggest gain) better throttle response. But even that won't come super cheap.

Save your money.

Modding that car is the equivalent to putting baseball cards in your bike spokes (but you're probably too young to get that reference)

What about a free cat delete?

It sounds as if you're determined to ignore the advice and hoping for miracles. It's an old, underpowered high mileage vehicle. Don't waste money trying to make it something that it will never be.

Oh wait, why not just add NOS?

Isn't that how they do it in the movies?

kid (I sure hope you're a kid), its a STRATUS. You're asking the equivalent of how to haul 2000lbs of manure in a Corvette. The car was not designed for it. Save up and buy something that was or else you're wasting your money.

strip the interior except for the driver seat. performance tires, rotors and brake pads. without an engine swap that is the only stuff worth bothering with.

I'm sure the OP is a young man, teenager? whose excited about owning his first car. We were all there at some point.

Avery4,

Don't bother with any go fast mods. Any money you put into that vehicle should only be to keep it running. Keep it clean, make sure you have decent tires and enjoy the car for what it is. One day you can get a real sports car. We all have to pay our dues in life.

Two things I've learned:

*It's expensive to go fast.

*You gotta pay to play.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I'm sure the OP is a young man, teenager? whose excited about owning his first car. We were all there at some point.

Avery4,

Don't bother with any go fast mods. Any money you put into that vehicle should only be to keep it running. Keep it clean, make sure you have decent tires and enjoy the car for what it is. One day you can get a real sports car. We all have to pay our dues in life.

Two things I've learned:

*It's expensive to go fast.

*You gotta pay to play.

^^Best advice so far. Back when I used to drive hand me downs (and some were down right embarrassing!) I meticulously maintained them,kept them clean,detailed,and waxed. I made sure my old beaters ran like a dream and looked like the cleanest beaters in town
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back