K&N air filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if I get real southern grits on the side.
smile.gif
I love Georgia, gorgeous friendly state.

+1.

Maybe there are some applications where it makes sense for durability or service life but I don't know 'em. Especially if you have a MAF.

Oil cotton gauze has much lower efficiency and holding capacity than paper filters. On average a good paper air filters lets less than 1 gram of dirt past the media, while a K&N can let over 7 grams through during its interval.

i've used them in the past, back to paper filters from now on.

they tell you all you need to know in their commercials. they yell you right there, it's a High Flow Filter. well the trade off for a higher flowing Filter, and i don't care what application you're talking about, is a less efficient filter. ie: lets more stuff through.

I found a way to get more air flow. I push on the gas pedal. I don't drive around at full throttle so pushing on the gas pedal does just fine.

I like the idea that treated paper does a good job insuring clean air for my engine.

I've used them for about 500k between 3 vehicles with no ill affect. I'll purchase another one when its time to change the filter in my newest vehicle.

I don't know why K&N or any other oil based air filters get slammed so much on the internet. It's one thing if you've personally damaged components in your car, but most just blindly base their stories on that infamous K&N lets dust through test posted online.

I do run high flow air filters (oil based) in both of my cars, and so far UOAs have not shown elevated silica count or extra wear due to possible ingestion of dirt.

If you hate your ride just give it a k&n air filter and mobile1 in the sump. You'll give it dirty blood with an iron deficiency.

Originally Posted By: fmia
If you hate your ride just give it a k&n air filter and mobile1 in the sump. You'll give it dirty blood with an iron deficiency.

I agree. Only a person who has low regard for their engine would use Mobile 1 oil.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I don't know why K&N or any other oil based air filters get slammed so much on the internet. It's one thing if you've personally damaged components in your car, but most just blindly base their stories on that infamous K&N lets dust through test posted online.

I do run high flow air filters (oil based) in both of my cars, and so far UOAs have not shown elevated silica count or extra wear due to possible ingestion of dirt.
Nothing blindly based here.I live in the dusty desert. I often see intake hoses full of dust when a K&N air filter is used.

Yes, the white glove test. Run a clean white glove or any white cloth and rub the inside of the intake down stream from the air cleaner. Every one I've tested were much dirtier with a K&N air filter.

ROD

K&N filters have not done poorly just in one tests. They've done poorly in a lot of tests.

I actually use K&N filters on my boats, mostly because it's better than having an OEM flame arrestor that literally stops nothing from getting in. Even here, there's already a dusting on the inside of the filter base.

I'm glad you brought this up again, here, in this air filter thread. I think it might be possible for people to miss you saying it the other dozen threads you thought it necessary to post this in.

Having said that, I'll be sure to stay away from mobile1 oil.

...I might give Mobil-1 a try though. What do you think?

Last edited:
Where is Mobile made in Alabamer?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

I'm glad you brought this up again, here, in this air filter thread. I think it might be possible for people to miss you saying it the other dozen threads you thought it necessary to post this in.

Having said that, I'll be sure to stay away from mobile1 oil.

...I might give Mobil-1 a try though. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back