F1 - 2015 Canadian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alonso should have really burned the engineer and told him there's no point in saving fuel when they can hardly ever finish a race, and perhaps they should start filling only halfway.
wink.gif

Particularly bad race for McLaren Honda, especially having just spent development tokens on the PU. I hear from a non-US Honda insider from time to time on another site, here is the situation. Simply put Honda has a superior ICE (just as powerful as Mercedes) but inferior MGU-H/K systems. These systems cannot run at full power and be reliable so the lack of power contribution of those systems is keeping the car slow. Because they cannot run at full power they're relying on the ICE which requires more fuel than the formula allows which is causing them to slow further. So their trap speed is down and this reduction in pace is not allowing them to get the tires to optimal temperature which in turn affects mechanical grip. It's a real chain reaction. At some point this season they will get this sorted out and we will see a top 5 finish from at least one of their drivers. In the meantime let's hope Canada is rock bottom.

I'll add to that Honda insisted on developing the MGU-H/K themselves, politely turning down McLaren's offer to develop those components. So Honda's engine expertise is still on point, but they're starting from zero in terms of ERS systems and that's what we're seeing now. I think McLaren are now insisting that their resources be used to aid in ERS and software development.

It would be nice to have a NASCAR Sprint Cup race up here to finish off the trifecta - F1 in Montreal, Indy in Toronto and NASCAR ????

I think we've shown our support of auto racing with great crowds at both the F1 and Indy races.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Particularly bad race for McLaren Honda, especially having just spent development tokens on the PU. I hear from a non-US Honda insider from time to time on another site, here is the situation. Simply put Honda has a superior ICE (just as powerful as Mercedes) but inferior MGU-H/K systems. These systems cannot run at full power and be reliable so the lack of power contribution of those systems is keeping the car slow. Because they cannot run at full power they're relying on the ICE which requires more fuel than the formula allows which is causing them to slow further. So their trap speed is down and this reduction in pace is not allowing them to get the tires to optimal temperature which in turn affects mechanical grip. It's a real chain reaction. At some point this season they will get this sorted out and we will see a top 5 finish from at least one of their drivers. In the meantime let's hope Canada is rock bottom.

I've read this as well, but I am also concerned that their turbo design has limited top end. This was because under the current rules with fuel flow, the engines never really go above 12k RPM. However if these new rules come into play, there MIGHT be refueling and there are plans to increase the RPM of the engines which might leave the Honda gasping for air.

The thing is, I'm not buying that Honda will be successful eventually just because they were 25 years ago. They won a total of ONE race in their last jump into Formula 1 (ironically with Jenson at the wheel). And they also had pathetic seasons where they were back markers with their "Earth Dreams" cars (also ironically with Jenson at the wheel). Sure they would have likely won the constructor's championship if they'd stayed in for 2009, but that was as much a fluke with the double diffuser as anything. By the end of the season the Red Bull was arguably a better car. Mercedes took that team and it wasn't until the new engines that they were fully successful again.

I just don't think there is any guarantee of them being successful...in fact I'd give it 50/50 at best that they win a race at all before they drop out again.

Just got back from Montreal. What a great time! Race was great, city was very welcoming, food was delicious, and atmosphere very electric in the streets. Was interesting to watch Hamilton and Rosberg battle for first- but Vettel was most impressive moving up so much to finish fifth. I was in Grandstand 33 on the turn.

I had a great time, and would definitely do it again!

17ec0ead89d2f6dcd077c5be40b542f1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back