Turtle wax liquid or paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about trying Turtle Wax Ice any thoughts on liquid or paste in the can with applicator. WM has both on the shelf.

I tried ICE on both wifey and my car last summer. Went on smooth, but poor longevity.

We let the wax job lapsed during winter time (winter is wet/soggy/cold and cannot wax properly), by spring, the wax on both cars is all but gone, and water stains became very obvious.

So, back to Nu-finish my wifey's camry (past weekend), and for my fit: went back to 1yr fusso coat by Soft99.

Q.

^^^^^^^ What Q said.^^^^^^^ I do use the paste ICE on my Harley and it shines beautifully, but it's stored inside and not ridden in the rain...if I can help it!

This is what I use on my car:

http://www.soft99.co.jp/english/products/carcare/wax/fusso_coat_12.html?pid=00298

Technically speaking, in severe UV environment: it's good for about 8~9mnths tops; some indoor parking, then it's good for about 1yr.

I tend to re-wax my car every year around May anyways (before the beginning of water restriction in our area, which spans from June all the way into Sept of every summer).

Q.

a well-known consumer magazine tested both paste and liquid. the paste lasted longer. so that's what I used last year. yes, its more work to put on and take off, but worth it IMHO

I haven't tried the paste, ever since I have discovered liquid waxes I haven't looked back. The slickness and shine, even water beading ability has been exceptional with the Turtle Wax Liquid.

For the money I would just use Meguiars Ultimate. Not much more, but great longevity and shine. Lasts almost as my fav which is Duragloss TPP

I really like Lucas Slick mist. Spray it on and wipe it off. You dont have to worry about it getting on plastics and there is no residue, Smells great too.

For the price, I think Turtle Wax Ice is a good product. At least in the paste. I haven't ever used the liquid, so I can't give any opinion on it.

From my experience Turtle Wax Ice provides a nice shine and very good beading. Quest makes a comparison to Nu-finish, but not much of anything lasts as long as Nu-finish as far as water beading. But the tradeoff with Nu-finish, is it doesn't give a real deep shine. Nu-finish is 100% synthetic. And to date no one has figured out how to beat the shine of Carnauba. Nu-finish is a good example of that.

Ice will last as long as any other wax in it's price range, and that typically runs about 6 - 8 weeks. And I tend to wash my car about every 10 - 15 days.

The one down side to Ice is it doesn't bring out the metallic flake in dark colors. I've read a few reviews where others suggest that Ice is better suited for light colored cars, and I've also found that to be true.

As far as ease of application, Ice does come off a little easier than some other paste waxes I've used. But it's still a paste. Liquids come off easier, but then they tend to not last as long as a paste wax job.

If you want a wax that really dazzles with dark metallic paints, you may try Meguiars NXT 2.0. It really brings out the sparkle on my black Outback. But it doesn't bead quite as well as Ice. However, that may be because I decided to try the NXT in liquid.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
For the money I would just use Meguiars Ultimate. Not much more, but great longevity and shine. Lasts almost as my fav which is Duragloss TPP

While Ultimate is a very good wax, especially for the money, it does cost almost twice as much as Ice. If someone is going to buy a wax in the price range of Ultimate, they just as well go with Collinite 845. The down sides to Collinite 845 is having to warm it before using, and having to mail order it.

Last edited:
I've in the past: used Mothers pure carnauba wax (in tin style, not liquid, non-abrasive) in 3-step process (back in the days with my Mazda B6 block, until the white paint faded beyond repair and started to peel off).

Yes, I agree that full synthetic wax such as Nu-finish or fusso coat may not have that "candy coating" kind of gloss like carnauba wax does (think skittles shine). But at this stage in life: protection coating is what I'm aiming for so gloss is secondary.

Wish I can come out with the time to wash+wax every 8 wks or so.

Q.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

While Ultimate is a very good wax, especially for the money, it does cost almost twice as much as Ice. If someone is going to buy a wax in the price range of Ultimate, they just as well go with Collinite 845. The down sides to Collinite 845 is having to warm it before using, and having to mail order it.

The only Ice that I have found that is half of what Meguiars UW around here is the spray wax. The paste and liquid polish are about 4 bucks different last time I checked.

Originally Posted By: liverup
I really like Lucas Slick mist. Spray it on and wipe it off. You dont have to worry about it getting on plastics and there is no residue, Smells great too.

Good Stuff
thumbsup2.gif

So, I wonder if Ice runs high or Ultimate is a bargain in your area.

Walmart.com shows Ice at $12 and Ultimate at $20. This is a much better bargain on the Ultimate than O'Reilly, where I first noticed the price difference. O'Reilly wants $28 for Ultimate, and iirc, about $14 for Ice. But I couldn't verify O'Reilly's price for Ice, as it doesn't show on their website.

These prices are all for paste. I don't even count spray wax as wax. It's not much more than detail spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back