95 honda atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
a friend at work has a95 Accord purchased very used with now 285 k on the AT. He is saving for a new AT although no problems at this time. Would a fluid change now be a good idea? No power flush, just change to synthetic. Any idea what this should cost? Thoughts?

I would NOT recommend a change to synthetic....
You MUST use a fluid that specifically states on the bottle
meets Z-1 specifications. Castrol Transmax Import Multi Vehicle is a very good match for original Z-1 Honda OEM fluid.

Is the tranny in bad shape? Honda fluid is good. I'm using maxlife in my wife's 97 civic.

He should do a few drain and fills spread a few weeks apart to see if the tranny improves.

Despite the hysteria by some posters, your transmission does not require ATF-Z1 rated fluid, only Dexron II. Having said that you can certainly use Honda DW-1 if you wish (the most current fluid), or you can use something else. I have used Mobil 1 ATF in my Honda, BMW and Sienna forever and it has worked very well with no issues and high miles as seen in my sig. Maxlife is another good choice as well.

And the similar hysteria against synthetic fluids is equally unfounded.

Changing the ATF is very easy on these cars. It takes 3 quarts. Maxlife works great.

Z1 did not exist until 2000. Before that, they just used Dexron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back