Liqui-Moly Synthoil Longtime 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used it for a while in Ford 4.6L V8 applications before switching to low SAPS. It's a great oil.

A really high VI like this usually indicates they started with a very thin base oil and added a lot of VII to get it up to that viscosity.

Liqui-Moly is nothing special, IMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
A really high VI like this usually indicates they started with a very thin base oil and added a lot of VII to get it up to that viscosity.

MolaKule, how adding VII change HTHS viscosity? Can dynamic viscosity be improved with VII or are they only used to boost kinematic viscosity range?

Adding VII only affects kinematic viscosity, not dynamic viscosity.

One needs special polymers (these are not VII polymers) or other additves to improve Dynamic Viscosity.

This seems like a good choice 0w30 for those wanting thinner 30 weight in an 0w/5w20 spec'd vehicle? It seems capable of extended OCI's as well? Would you guess this to be a PAO synthetic?

I've used LM 0W30 (and Pentospeed 0W30) when I was into premium group IV/V oils. I get my current fill PC Duron 0W30 for $2.90/quart. UAOs on all three are the same. IMO a gently driven NA Volvo white block doesn't benefit from a premium priced Group IV/V oil.

The European version of Castrol Edge 0W30 is probably a better choice for a turbo application?

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
I've used LM 0W30 (and Pentospeed 0W30) when I was into premium group IV/V oils. I get my current fill PC Duron 0W30 for $2.90/quart. UAOs on all three are the same. IMO a gently driven NA Volvo white block doesn't benefit from a premium priced Group IV/V oil.

Where can you get PC Duron 0w30 for under $3 a quart?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

Where can you get PC Duron 0w30 for under $3 a quart?

5 gallon pails from distributor. I use Dennison Lubricants in Worcester MA. Anyone that carries Petro-Canada will have it.

Adding VII only affects kinematic viscosity, not dynamic viscosity.

One needs special polymers (these are not VII polymers) or other additves to improve Dynamic Viscosity.

HTHS is affected by VIIs very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back