AC drips onto exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 dodge caravan. After running the AC when we shut it off I can hear the water dripping onto the exhaust pipe. You can hear it sizzle. I know for sure it's condensation and not antifreeze. Is this normal and is it hurting anything?

I wouldn't think so. So many cars do that, it one of the things I dreaded while working pit at a quick lube in the summer that hot water dripping on you for 9 hours a day. I always have to investigate when I back my car or truck out the garage to make sure its just the condensation puddle.

I can't imagine why they would route the evaporator drain to right above the exhaust, but I honestly don't know. It might be, that something is draining improperly.

Maybe customers complained about OMG my car is leaking so they set this up so the condensate might evaporate to steam instead?

I noticed my cheezeball $99 walmart window AC splashes the condensate on the fan and this flings it up on the condensor where it then evaporates, taking heat from the fins more efficiently than fanned air alone. It sounds like a gargling snoring mess all night.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Maybe customers complained about OMG my car is leaking so they set this up so the condensate might evaporate to steam instead?

I noticed my cheezeball $99 walmart window AC splashes the condensate on the fan and this flings it up on the condensor where it then evaporates, taking heat from the fins more efficiently than fanned air alone. It sounds like a gargling snoring mess all night.

Before I researched it, I drilled a hole in my Sharp window A/C unit to better drain the condensate, thinking something was wrong with the drainage, as-is. The unit only ever made a very slight water-splashing noise (barely perceptible) while running, but it would sploosh after each shut down.

So, while I do believe that the spraying of cold condensate (from the evaporator, which drains down toward the condensor) does improve efficiency, it is quite annoying.

I haven't drilled a hole in the second, identical A/C unit, but have noticed one benefit to doing so: when it comes time to removing the A/C unit for winter storage, the amount of water in the unit is minimal. The one upstairs, which hadn't been drilled, had to be held at an awkward angle to drain, through it's built-in drainage, for a very long time, it seemed.

//

I know you're joking when you explain the drain to atop the exhaust, but, who knows, maybe you're on to something! haha

Isn't that what cracked the exhaust manifolds on V6 Mustangs in the 90s? IIRC, brief, but frequent, temperature changes from dripping AC condensation stressed the metal, causing premature failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back