Why such low miles on UOA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: srt8_in_largo
Why all the UOA's at ridiculously low miles?

Examples?

And yeah. Some folks though smart don't always show it

As in new engines or low mile oil changes?

Because this site is now rank with those who choose peace of mind over data. Bob is turning over in his grave, as we speak!

Welcome anyway. What is "low"? That is hardly a precise term. Are you referring to the motorcycle section or all UOAs posted on the site? If your comment is site-wide, I'll be the first to admit that I have years of habits I'm working to "upgrade".
Kevin

I always change via Nissan FSM,3/3K. Current Nissan TSB's even say to stick with that schedule.

Edit....I just realized this is the motorcycle forum haha. Tried to delete my post but it won't let me.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Why ask why?

Why not?
smile.gif

Why?
1. For the same reason people do UOAs.
2. For the same reason people do VOAs.
3. For information, leading indicator of what the oil is doing in the engine.
4. For the same reason people even come to this site. Why do they? We all know most all oils will do just fine in an engine. But, like anyting, its something that interests us, like a hobby,just like the bike.

5. You posted your question in the wrong area of the forum. This area is for USED OIL Analysis!
Why did you do this? Moderator needs to move the thread to the proper place. :eek:)

Ps, if you are asking why, I suspect you should not even be here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Because this site is now rank with those who choose peace of mind over data. Bob is turning over in his grave, as we speak!
I heard someone dumped a quart of "MMO" on his headstone.

I posted a UOA recently with only 1,000 miles, on factory fill. I will be posting a couple more with low miles. Why? Curiosity.

Yes, it's a waste of money. No, it's not necessary. I am simply curious and want to observe high metals and how long they take to get down to normal levels on my new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I heard someone dumped a quart of "MMO" on his headstone.

I heard his headstone is just a stack of old OCOD filters glued together.
13.gif

Yes, I mean to pose this question about the UOA's in the motorcycle section. Now that this is in the general section, maybe a mod can add "motorcycle" in the subject?

If it's for curiosity, I understand. If it's for getting a baseline or a leading indicator, I understand. Thanks for highlighting those possibilities. I may even find myself doing it for those reasons.

But are there people here who believe a fine, high quality synthetic *needs* to be changed at 2k, 3k, or 4k miles? Some people are hung up on peace of mind to the point of it being OCD. And yeah I know, it's your bike , your money, etc.

Kudos to those with the sense to realize that there are many more carefree miles to be had.

Btw, thanks for the welcome guys. Forgive me if I miss some questions, but if you just go to the motorcycle UOA section and start opening threads, a very high proportion are on less than 4k miles.

Well, well. Nice to see you here.

As far as your question, since we both drive a car with a factory recommended interval of 3000 miles on synthetic oil, it all depends what you call "short".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back