Synthetic engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the engine used any oil, up to this point, since the work was done? If not, it IS run in and the whole argument is moot.

If it has, then you could consider using less expensive conventional oil for the next OCI, more to limit money spent, than any concern about it not running in properly.

When it stops consuming oil, or when consumption stabilizes, stops decreasing, that would be the best time to switch to synthetic.

Which begs the question....Do you know that the dealer didn't put synthetic in it, when they did the work? It may truly be a completely moot point.....

Originally Posted By: CT8
The syn oil companies don't want the new engine to fail when using their oils.

They are the same ones making conventional too....

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I have never read on any synthetic oil bottle anything about not using said oil on new engines or anything else. Why would they be putting synthetic oil in new cars if it is causing rings not to set....sometimes I think many of us are living on the rumors of the 50s and 40s,imho.

from Royal Purple web

Can I put Royal Purple into my brand new car?

Yes. Royal Purple currently offers many viscosity grades of API-licensed motor oils. To allow for proper break-in of the engine, Royal Purple recommends waiting until the manufacturer’s first scheduled oil change or a minimum of 3,000 kms in new gasoline engines. Allow 10,000 to 20,000 kms before using Royal Purple in diesel engines.
sounds good to me

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I think personally 2000kms is enough for bedding in.

these are low tension piston rings, they seat upon start up...I have done enough toyota engine rebuilds and I have personally rebuilt a 2AZ-FE, with EngineTech piston rings with perfect success so far.

you only want to change the oil early if there is any break-in material, and this is generally just debris and dirt, I use to do 2000 miles break-in oil change, now i just do an initial 5000 OCI and then run a full synthetic for 10-15k, no issues so far.

So this break in material that needs draining early won't get caught by the filter?
That's absurd.

I agree with many posters in this thread, you can switch to synthetic oil anytime. My 1995 Corvette came with synthetic from the factory and it runs awesome. (Yes I know the API definition of what is "synthetic" has changed in the past few years.) Anyway, oil change frequency is perhaps the most important part of engine maintenance, so long as you use oil that meets the mfg spec.

Didn't do anything to the engine block just replaced 4 Pistons 4 connecting rods with new pins and a new ring set. At the time repair done vehicle has done 25000kms on the clock

But Mobil1 web site

Is it true that new engines need break-in periods using conventional motor oil?
That is a myth. In the past, engine break-in was necessary to remove metal flashing or any other abrasive material left inside the engine after machining, as well as to allow the valves and rings to "seat" properly. Today's engines are built with much tighter tolerances and much improved machining, and under much cleaner conditions compared to the engines of 10 or 20 years ago. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require a break-in period using petroleum-based motor oils.
I agree with THIS one!

Didn't do anything to the engine block just replaced 4 Pistons 4 connecting rods with new pins and a new ring set. At the time repair done vehicle has done 25000kms on the clock

How are the rings going to seat if the block wasn't roughed up a bit.

It's going to burn oil

Rings will seat with normal wear usage.

Help them seat with a couple zero-to-highway speed limit pedal to the floor teenager like runs. Then, change the oil and filter.

You are at the mercy of the dealer tech, his work ethic, the ring and piston supplier employees too..... I'd change that oil out immediately. Dealership is not a white room of bunny suit wearing mechanics.

Synth is fine to use when new.

This employee did not refresh your engine at the dealership:
Cleanroom_suit.jpg

This employee probably did:
5696010231_8419122db6.jpg

Hi Guys.
My RAv4 2AZ-FE engine rebuild due to stuck piston rings.
Toyota replaced 4 pistons and ring set.
After the repair I have done 1700kms how long I have to wait before install fully Synthetic engine oil?
Different people say different things.
Cheers.
Bob.

Old School says conventional for 3K, then use whatever you want.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

these are low tension piston rings, they seat upon start up...I have done enough toyota engine rebuilds and I have personally rebuilt a 2AZ-FE, with EngineTech piston rings with perfect success so far.

you only want to change the oil early if there is any break-in material, and this is generally just debris and dirt, I use to do 2000 miles break-in oil change, now i just do an initial 5000 OCI and then run a full synthetic for 10-15k, no issues so far.

So this break in material that needs draining early won't get caught by the filter?
That's absurd.

it will be, that's why I said "I use to do 2000 OCI", would have been better if I had said "before I use to do 2000 OCI".

5k OCI on dino then 10-15k on synthetics is what I personally do.

Last edited:
most "synthetics" are just group III highly refined crude oil, real man made synthetics, group IV pao + V ester like Redline recommend a break in oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back